Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silage Chopper Wooden Model

Silage Chopper Wooden Model

It's been awhile since I did anything with wood, much less with a wooden model, but here was my latest creation. I thought some of you might like it. As you know we are pretty proud of our chopper, and it was Alyson's first ride in a tractor. It was only a matter of time before I made a wooden one of our chopper.

A few weeks ago I presented this to my Uncle and I thought he was going to cry. He just could not believe that I would spend so much time on something and just give it away. Well for me it was fun making it, but for my Uncle...who lives on this thing in the summer, it meant a lot.

The wooden model itself is one of a kind. From the CB in the cab, to the logging chain to the bottles on the floor, this wooden model IS and only could be, our machine. That is what makes it special. It took me about 4 weeks to put together including the case, and it took 8 hours to hand carve the big tractor wheels apiece, and each of the smaller wheels took about 6 hours apiece.

I wish the pictures came out better, but to be honest with you they never do. There is just too many details to pickup. Not that it really matters. My Uncle loves it and that's all that really matters.

And a picture of the real machine for comparison purposes...

I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Terrific. Do enter it in your county fair competition. A blue ribbon winner, fer certain, fer sure.

I've said it elsewhere but I will say it again, this isn't "just" something beautiful you made, it is a part of you, given to your Uncle. Great job Travis.

How did the visit with the foster inspection go?

Sweet!
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Townend View Post
    I've said it elsewhere but I will say it again, this isn't "just" something beautiful you made, it is a part of you, given to your Uncle. Great job Travis.

How did the visit with the foster inspection go?
    Yeah that is true. Now its on to the next model, though I am torn between the new New Holland we got (the wooden model will be for another Uncle) or of a tractor for a guy that recently retired from farming.

As for the Foster Care thing, we should be done now. In fact they said to expect a call Monday for a child...an 8 year old boy.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Congratulations Travis.

Travis.
    If my nephew had presented me with such a beautiful piece I would have cried as well.

As far the construction is concerned it is not the details what matters but the idea that the piece conveys.

To me, and please do not get me wrong, it has some sort of child's ingenuity that catches one's eye, and it is built in the piece as in all you've made and that is not easy at all.
    Conciouslly done or not, some wooden toys made by experts do not have the same warmth on them.

And I believe that that warmth is the love you've put when making it.

Honestly, I take my hat off...
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Tony...not offended in the least. It does have a touch of toyishness to it and it probably should. Thething is you canbuy a plastic replica of this machine at the equipment dealers. Its probably got more intriqute casting details because of the casting and plastic injection molding, but I think what makes these special is the wood itself.

The machine sitting by itself looks kind of crappy, in my opinion, but looking at it in the case gives it a different, a far more distinguished look.

I talked with my Uncle today and its actually on display at his father's bedside. He is along time farmer too but has battled cancer for at least 15 years. No one knows why he has not died yet. I am not being cold,there has been days upon days that everyone thought it was the end for old Francis. Not so. In fact he himself said last week at a family funeral that he could not believe the number of people in the family he out lived. Anyway he shows this machine to everyone that stops by. He is proud of his two boys that run the farm and the equipment they have to feed cows and make milk.

Families are leaving Maine at an unprecedented level here, and with it their ties to agriculture. The Maine Farm is doomed, but in some small way, he knows, you may leave the farm, but it will never leave you. People who grew up on farms know just what I mean.

I am just glad he got to see it before he died.

That's a very cool model Travis. Congrats on the foster parenting thing too.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Johnson View Post
    The machine sitting by itself looks kind of crappy, .
    Well Travis, I have to disagree with you on that one, the machine looks great, and what the showcase does is enhance it and put it in the right prespective. The machine is very good in itself, if you do not think so, just look at the display case without it. The model doesn't need the showcase but the showcase needs the model

For instance, if someone who doesn't know anything about it would see the model lying on the floor, on a corner surrounded by other toys most problably would say "What a cute model, did you make it?..."

But if the same person would see it in its show case, on top of a side board table or on a chimeney mantel, its perception of the importance of the object would be far different.

Most problably he would be intrigued at first, wondering why it was there, then he would ask about the story behind it, and then he would understand the importance of the object.

That is why we put things that we value in special places, or so I think, so please do not undervalue your work, it has a very speciall meaning for you and your uncle, and it shows on it, at least to me.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...