Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prices

Prices

I was looking for something on the Web and came across this article. She is a collector, as I am, but I can't remember paying $100,000 for any of my bowls.

Art is a difficult thing to define. I agree, $100,000 for a turned bowl seems odd. But, I have been in 'art' galleries that had old broken toilet and urinals priced in the thousands of dollars. I don't understand that at all.

It's pretty cool, the collection she's put together. I have no complaints about the pricing. She has a great way of displaying them, too...

What I'll never understand is people paying thousands for an old plane. But what the heck? It ain't the strangest thing that happens...

Thanks,

Bill

$100,000 is pretty pricey for a wooden bowl but I guess worth is a relative thing...and the more money you have the more relative it becomes.

Some people create and some people appreciate.

I just need to find more of those appreciaters.
    Cody

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Colston View Post
    ...and the more money you have the more relative it becomes...
    I've found "...the more money you have, the more relatives you have..."

Cool article. Thanks for posting it, Frank. Gives us all a goal to reach for...either to be able to sell pieces like that, or having enough money to buy pieces like that. I found it encouraging to see her say she expects to pay $200 or so for a bowl from an unknown "beginner". I don't think I'd pay $200+ for a bowl, but I sure like meeting folks who will.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Holy Smokes!

Did any of you check out Mark Lindquist's site, the high priced guy? I had never heard of him, but I can see why he can charge $100,000.

It's encouraging to see that she will pay a couple hundred for a 'beginner's' bowl. I have my first show on Sept. 6, and I really don't want to price my stuff too cheaply. It's a good reference point. Thanks for the link!

Hutch

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hutchinson View Post
    ...It's encouraging to see that she will pay a couple hundred for a 'beginner's' bowl. I have my first show on Sept. 6, and I really don't want to price my stuff too cheaply. It's a good reference point. Thanks for the link!

Hutch
    Hutch, as someone who's done a few shows so far, I want to warn you that to the vast majority of the public, $200 is an outrageous price for a bowl. There are people who do pay that much, but they're pretty rare, and at some shows they're non-existent. Part of the trick is to find the shows that attract the more affluent clientèle. I've found I can make more money if I find the price point the public is willing to pay, instead of waiting for the rich folks to visit my booth. On the other hand, I don't sell my stuff too cheaply, either.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I found it encouraging to see her say she expects to pay $200 or so for a bowl from an unknown "beginner".
    She's welcome to help me with my shelf-space problem any time she wants to. Heck, for the kind of $$ she's throwing around, she can adopt me.
    Where are we going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Cool article. Thanks for posting it, Frank. Gives us all a goal to reach for...either to be able to sell pieces like that, or having enough money to buy pieces like that. I found it encouraging to see her say she expects to pay $200 or so for a bowl from an unknown "beginner". I don't think I'd pay $200+ for a bowl, but I sure like meeting folks who will.
    My pleasure Vaughn. I'll post a photograph of my 'collection' that I've put together in one spot (as opposed to all over the house). Not sure how many I paid over $200 for but I'd guess a few. As a side funny note, when I introduced myself on the forum I said I started turning bowls to place beside my collection so, in comparison, it increases in value.