Prices

Frank Townend

I was looking for something on the Web and came across this article. She is a collector, as I am, but I can't remember paying $100,000 for any of my bowls.

1207bowls4_t220.jpg

Art is a difficult thing to define. I agree, $100,000 for a turned bowl seems odd. But, I have been in 'art' galleries that had old broken toilet and urinals priced in the thousands of dollars. I don't understand that at all.

It's pretty cool, the collection she's put together. I have no complaints about the pricing. She has a great way of displaying them, too...

What I'll never understand is people paying thousands for an old plane. But what the heck? It ain't the strangest thing that happens... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

$100,000 is pretty pricey for a wooden bowl but I guess worth is a relative thing...and the more money you have the more relative it becomes.

Some people create and some people appreciate.

I just need to find more of those appreciaters. :)

Cool article. Thanks for posting it, Frank. Gives us all a goal to reach for...either to be able to sell pieces like that, or having enough money to buy pieces like that. I found it encouraging to see her say she expects to pay $200 or so for a bowl from an unknown "beginner". I don't think I'd pay $200+ for a bowl, but I sure like meeting folks who will.

Holy Smokes!

Did any of you check out Mark Lindquist's site, the high priced guy? I had never heard of him, but I can see why he can charge $100,000.

It's encouraging to see that she will pay a couple hundred for a 'beginner's' bowl. I have my first show on Sept. 6, and I really don't want to price my stuff too cheaply. It's a good reference point. Thanks for the link! :thumb:

Hutch

...It's encouraging to see that she will pay a couple hundred for a 'beginner's' bowl. I have my first show on Sept. 6, and I really don't want to price my stuff too cheaply. It's a good reference point. Thanks for the link! :thumb:

Hutch
Hutch, as someone who's done a few shows so far, I want to warn you that to the vast majority of the public, $200 is an outrageous price for a bowl. There are people who do pay that much, but they're pretty rare, and at some shows they're non-existent. Part of the trick is to find the shows that attract the more affluent clientèle. I've found I can make more money if I find the price point the public is willing to pay, instead of waiting for the rich folks to visit my booth. On the other hand, I don't sell my stuff too cheaply, either.

Cool article. Thanks for posting it, Frank. Gives us all a goal to reach for...either to be able to sell pieces like that, or having enough money to buy pieces like that. I found it encouraging to see her say she expects to pay $200 or so for a bowl from an unknown "beginner". I don't think I'd pay $200+ for a bowl, but I sure like meeting folks who will.

My pleasure Vaughn. I'll post a photograph of my 'collection' that I've put together in one spot (as opposed to all over the house). Not sure how many I paid over $200 for but I'd guess a few. As a side funny note, when I introduced myself on the forum I said I started turning bowls to place beside my collection so, in comparison, it increases in value.

Actually Bill she helped me set up the shelves. The bowls have been in boxes since we moved from our old house in 2004. Better keep an eye on the organist, and hey she is a newlywed.

Hey Vaughn, If that there rich lady adopts you she'll probably stuff ya and put YOU on a shelf.:rofl: Truth be told, every starving artist needs a wealthy patron. I haven't found one yet but ya never know. I do know a few artists that got lucky and go to the "gold mine' on a regular basis. One friend of mine is a flint knapper and scrimshander and he has a dentist customer that buys a lot of his work. He will email the guy when he produces a nice piece and the guy often wires him the cash. Of course my friend is quite talented..........one of them left handed artist types..........:D

That's a great collection, Frank. Like Bill, I wish I could talk LOML into a shelf display like that. Between her plants and my turned pieces, we have a shortage of horizontal surfaces in the house.

I can get $150 for a pen on a rare occasion. Had a guy in Santa Cruz offer me $200 for a set of wine glasses, but 100k for a bowl is out of line. To re-quote Frank, I've found that the more relatives I have, the less money I have...and the less wood...:doh:

Well done Jim.

I guessing you didn't seen any pens in my collection and just "wanted to help". Or you saw I had some "extra room" and just "wanted to help". Or you just "wanted to help".