Walnut Salad Bowl

Mark Cothren

14" wide x 5" tall... used some Mahoney's mix on this bowl and I think I am going to like it.

This tree came from the yard of a couple in my church. The tree, along with several others in their yard, was blown down in a big tornado that hit Damascus, AR on May 3, 2008.

This is a very old house place and the man's family has owned it and lived there for well over 100 years. This particular tree had some barbed wire embedded in it from years ago. This piece shows some of the staining from the wire in the third picture.

WalnutSaladBowl01.jpg

WalnutSaladBowl02.jpg

WalnutSaladBowl03.jpg

WalnutSaladBowl04.jpg

That's sweet, Mark. I hadn't heard of Mike Mahoney's oil before. I may have to give it a try. Did you find any of the barbed wire, or just the stains?

Oh yeah, I found plenty of barbed wire... but not in this piece. Just in case you wondered, neither a Thompson gouge nor a P&N gouge will hold up very well to turning barbed wire...:dunno:

:D:D I found that out the other day roughing out a piece of mulberry! Found an old 3" nail. BTW, Super job on a really super piece of walnut. :thumb:

Mark that is one super bowl, and the back story is really interesting too!:thumb:

What is the "Mahoney Mix", or does anyone really know?

Cheers!

You can always make your own. I've started making my own and after a few experiments this is what I've come up with. Some might like it to be softer, if so, use more mineral oil and maybe add a touch more beeswax.

It is really quite simple.

First thing I do is take the wooden bowl and rub in Mineral Oil or my preferred method of Walnut Oil.

After allowing that to soak in and dry I use this formula:

12 oz of Mineral Oil
2 oz of bee’s wax
1/2 oz of Carnuba wax

I melt all of that over a medium heat in a metal bowl that is sitting on boiling/hot water. I then poor that into a Wide mouth Mason Jar.

Now, this is a mix that gives me a medium dense paste. Some may prefer softer and some may prefer a harder wax. All you need to do is to soften is to add more mineral Oil…. to harden… don’t use as much mineral oil.

The bowl and the wood are great all by themselves but when you add the history and the barbed wire to the mix it makes for a really awesome bowl. Good job.

Oh yeah, I found plenty of barbed wire... but not in this piece. Just in case you wondered, neither a Thompson gouge nor a P&N gouge will hold up very well to turning barbed wire...:dunno:

Mark, I'm guessing the gouges needed more than a "touch up" after that. :eek:

The figure in this bowl is outstanding. The rim lends itself very well for handleing...salad, ice cream, soup, cereal or whatever would look great in this one, but I think it would look just fine on my shelf or mantle too! :rolleyes: