La Casa de Doggie Grand Opening Coming Soon

Doug Shepard

In Memorium
The roofers will be here next weekend but other than that Casa de Doggie is done. The inside dimensions are 24W x 39L x 30H.
The general geometry and recommended sizing were taken from this site:
http://tidewaterkc.org/projects/insulated_dog_house.htm

Walls, floor, and roof have 3/4" MDO on the outside, 2" styro, then 7/16" OSB on the inside with a torsion box of sorts internally with 3/4" MDO gridding and the styro packed into the grid spaces. Here's some shots of the floor
Floor01.jpgFloor03.jpgFloor08.jpg

On the front and rear walls the grid spacing was layed out to get the opening and rear window holes where I wanted them.
And no dog house would be complete without a couple hand cut dogtails.
DryFit04.jpg

8 pieces make up the house
Panels04.jpg

and 32 screws later it looks like this
DogHouse02.jpgDogHouse07.jpg

The back wall window is for air circulation during the summer if rain comes up. During cold weather it's plugged up with the small square insert.
Backwall02.jpgBackwall03.jpg

Multiple Choice Quiz (this will be on the Final Exam BTW):
The color scheme was inspired by:
A) Dunno? The builder is color blind
B) Nearby yard flowers of the same color
C) A recent spread in Better Bordellos and Gardens
D) Barney and SpongeBob were trying to break in, got attacked by the dog, and bled all over her house while fleeing the scene
E) All of the Above

Standard Legal Disclaimer: No tools were harmed during the making of this doghouse

Last edited:
Cool dog house! One thing that caught my eye...it doesn't look like you pitched the roof at all. On purpose?
I built 2 dog houses back in the early 80s for the 2 dogs we had then, but after someone broke into the back yard (opened a stockade gate that had wood wedged in across the center but no padlock, our dogs have used the same house as LOML and I. Usually in our bed. :eek: In fact, for 8 years or so, I wrote a poem for our Christmas cards that always ended with Dalton somehow getting my pillow. When I ran out of time one year to write the poem, my Mom let me know about it!! :D
Sounds like it will be a warm one for the pooch. If really cold, maybe you could somehow mount a light bulb inside that is shielded to keep from burning the dog if bumped in to when turning around to lay down. With the insulation you used, a 25 watter would probably do the trick. Jim.

Cool dog house! One thing that caught my eye...it doesn't look like you pitched the roof at all. On purpose?
Sounds like it will be a warm one for the pooch. If really cold, maybe you could somehow mount a light bulb inside that is shielded to keep from burning the dog if bumped in to when turning around to lay down. With the insulation you used, a 25 watter would probably do the trick. Jim.

No pitch except what I gave the whole house when I levelled the paving stones it's resting on. It's not a lot, but there is a pitch to it. I wrestled with the idea of a pitched roof but the general layout of the design I was looking at was flat plus it would have meant buying at least one more sheet each of the MDO and OSB (roughly another $100).

Still need to put something on the floor and it may well be one of those heated kennel pads that run at dog body temp when it's laid on. I've never been too keen on the whole light bulb heat idea. It seems like one of those sleep depravation techniques you see in the movies.

This is mainly so China doesn't have to stay inside while I'm at work. She prefers to stay out but if rain is forecasted or temps start going below freezing, she gets left inside. Otherwise she's an indoor dog. Sleeps between my bed and the wall.

BTW, my answer is (D). :p

Well (D) is what I hope would happen. I hate Barney/SpongeBob

Its partially (B). The house is the same color yellow. I took a purple Morning Glory in to try and color match it for the trim but it just scanned as black. So we had to come as close as possible using the paint chips. But it does look an awful lot like those Bordello pics.

Well... that's not a dog's house but a palace.

Sorry I was late for the poll but I was going to vote for "B".

However does your dog smoke when you're not around? I say it because in the last picture appears an unlit cigarrete on the grass and It seems that someone threw it away trhough the small window in order not to get caught in delictive action...:D
Maybe the poor dog was going to light it up and you appeared suddenly to take the pics...:)

However does your dog smoke when you're not around? I say it because in the last picture appears an unlit cigarrete on the grass and It seems that someone threw it away trhough the small window in order not to get caught in delictive action...:D
Maybe the poor dog was going to light it up and you appeared suddenly to take the pics...:)

You've got sharp eyes. :eek:That dog is in so much trouble now:eek: Just for that I'm not installing the cable TV so she can watch Animal Planet.:D