the C1 tool

Frank Fusco

I have seen this discussed here but never really knew what it was. Looks like the end-all to lathe tools needed. I'm going to throw away all my lathe tools and make one of these. ;)
Actually, I do plan to buy a set of the cutters and make one for myself. About $30.00 for ten cutters put on a homemade handle is a lot cheaper than $99.00, or more, from CS.
Watch the video. http://www.easywoodtools.com/

I'll tell you Frank this tool is the end all to end all. I can clear out the inside of a 8" wide x 3" deep bowl to where I just glide the bowl gouge before sanding in about two to three minutes. It cuts wood like a hot knife through butter.

When you throw out your old tools, please throw them my way.

Been thinkin'. I do that sometimes. ;)
Why does the shaft need to be square?
A 1/2" round with the flat cut to receive the cutter would/should work just as well and be easier to seat in a handle.

Where are you finding cutters for $3.00 each? Be aware that there are different profiles of carbide inserts out there...and not all of them will give the same results as the Ci1. I know this, because I have a couple of other similar "carbide insert" tools, and I have a Ci1. Dunno what the Ci1 does differently, but it most definitely cuts differently (better).

The square bar is indeed an improvement over a round bar. Here again, I have both, and the square bar requires less work to use. With a round bar, you're always fighting rotational forces with your wrist; the square bar just sits flat on the tool rest and lets you cut.

Where are you finding cutters for $3.00 each? Be aware that there are different profiles of carbide inserts out there...and not all of them will give the same results as the Ci1. I know this, because I have a couple of other similar "carbide insert" tools, and I have a Ci1. Dunno what the Ci1 does differently, but it most definitely cuts differently (better).

The square bar is indeed an improvement over a round bar. Here again, I have both, and the square bar requires less work to use. With a round bar, you're always fighting rotational forces with your wrist; the square bar just sits flat on the tool rest and lets you cut.

Not having ever used square, I won't debate. Square sounds good to me.
Try this link, I have written them asking the size.
http://www.sunhillmachinery.com/store/index.asp?department=5

I have seen this discussed here but never really knew what it was. Looks like the end-all to lathe tools needed. I'm going to throw away all my lathe tools and make one of these. ;)
Actually, I do plan to buy a set of the cutters and make one for myself. About $30.00 for ten cutters put on a homemade handle is a lot cheaper than $99.00, or more, from CS.
Watch the video. http://www.easywoodtools.com/

Frank - You could have seen a bunch of em in real life if you would have stopped through Springfield on your way home a couple of weeks ago. :thumb:

Vaughn,
In my endorsement of Craig's tool the only thing I didn't like is the sharp corners I think if they were rounded a little bit you could do a shear scrape with them & not worry to much about denting your rest.

Vaughn,
In my endorsement of Craig's tool the only thing I didn't like is the sharp corners I think if they were rounded a little bit you could do a shear scrape with them & not worry to much about denting your rest.
I agree...a little more radius on the bottom corners of the bar could come in handy, it seems.

I guess I should say the stainless steel bar has no sharp edges. All edges have a nice pleasant small radius to them.

Attachments

• Ci1 Closeup.jpg
    Ci1 Closeup.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Frank,
I think I was the third person on WR to get one & mine has sharp corners on it:( It is a well made tool & I really like it.:thumb:I've been told a chimp has better tool control then I do.:huh:

A chimp has better control than I do too Chuck. The topic got me thinking last night that it would be interesting to create "renewable" tool rest "covers" from some material like Teflon that allows smooth tool movement, and once dinged up, it can be replaced cheaply.

Just a thought.