the C1 tool

Sounds like you guys are having fun.
As for rounding the corners, you can round on belt sander as Ron says if you wish. The reason we do not do that at the time of manufacture is we want as much support directly under the cutting edge as possible. This counters all the rotaion forces when cutting left or right.
Craig
Easy Wood Tools

Craig, how wonderful of you to join us. As you can tell, to own the C1 is to love the C1. I love how I can get 80% of a bowl hollowed and then use my (developing) gouge skills to finish. I find myself grabbing the C1 for tenons, details, you name it. Thanks for such a great tool!

Hey Craig, good see you here.

Craig is right, a square bar does give more support. It also adds about 30% more mass which is also important.

When I mentioned using a belt sander, all I'm talking about is easing the corners. I don't think knocking off the edge would lose that much support,

For the record, I do have a CI1 and believe Craig's tool is well manufactured and his customer's service is the best.

I give it a :thumb::thumb::thumb:

I went along the home made tool route, mainly because of cost this side of the pond seeing as I have 5/8" bar stock to hand.

Having recently had chance to use my home made alongside the real thing at a UK get together, if anything I think the extra rigidity and weight from my home made is a slight advantage.

Not much finesse in use, in fact the area local to the lathe was vacated pronto when I started butchering a piece of Beech bark-on log but it has become my meat mover of choice, in fact this weekend it was the main tool used prior to sanding to turn these platters in Elm and Oak:

_________
_________

_________

Last edited: