Thread: bud vase,

bud vase,

I needed to practice(or is it all practice) my spindle turning and decided to see what I could do with a piece of ash I had. All comments are appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fpot1.jpg  

Bud vases, or weed pots are good practice, fun and an excellent use for scrap wood. They sell well at shows if priced right. But, as we, in my woodturning club, learned, you must have some 'weeds' in them or they don't sell. Go to a craft store and buy a lot of small dried flowers and things. Put some in each vase and give with purchase. If you run out of flowers before selling all the pots, you will take the rest of them home. Folks, even female ones, is funny critters.

Looks good to me, Gary. Like Frank said, these little things are great practice. (I sure need more spindle practice.) The only suggestion I can see would be to rotate the camera a bit to get the vase square in the frame.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Examining from the top, the shape seems nicely "classic" to me ... until I reach the lowest segment. I dunno, there's something about it that I can't put my finger on. But if you had parted it off below the lower bead, it would look more like a salt shaker and wouldn't have the extra (useful) weight in the base.

Still, a great practice piece ... and it's making me think.

Like it!

Making projects as practice is a great idea. Nice work! I like to play chess, and it reminds me of an oversized pawn. Keep up the good work!

Hutch
    Last edited by Matt Hutchinson; 08-25-2008 at 08:06 PM.

Good lookin' job Gary! The only suggestion I would make is to recess the opening so you could add a glass tube for watering. That hides the tube from veiw and gives a clean look. Keep up the great work!

Jim
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Quote Originally Posted by gary doby View Post
    I needed to practice(or is it all practice) my spindle turning
    Gary, I think it is all practice, but it sure is fun isn't it! Great little vase!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

I agree with Kerry, the bottom needs some work, but really, that is what it is all about, trying new things and getting in as much practice as possible!

Good job!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Looks good Gary. I have to agree with the others, though. If the base ended just below that bottom ring, it would look better...and even more like a chess pawn which is the first thought I had upon looking at it.
    Cody

Thanks for the input. I know the bottom does seem a bit bulky. I liked it for this one but will streamline my future attempts. Of course, I know where my CIDM's (Catch Induced Design Modifications) are in this one.