bud vase,

gary doby

I needed to practice(or is it all practice) my spindle turning and decided to see what I could do with a piece of ash I had. All comments are appreciated.

Attachments

• fpot1.jpg
    fpot1.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 51
Bud vases, or weed pots are good practice, fun and an excellent use for scrap wood. They sell well at shows if priced right. But, as we, in my woodturning club, learned, you must have some 'weeds' in them or they don't sell. Go to a craft store and buy a lot of small dried flowers and things. Put some in each vase and give with purchase. If you run out of flowers before selling all the pots, you will take the rest of them home. Folks, even female ones, is funny critters. :thumb:

Looks good to me, Gary. Like Frank said, these little things are great practice. (I sure need more spindle practice.) The only suggestion I can see would be to rotate the camera a bit to get the vase square in the frame.

Examining from the top, the shape seems nicely "classic" to me ... until I reach the lowest segment. I dunno, there's something about it that I can't put my finger on. :dunno: But if you had parted it off below the lower bead, it would look more like a salt shaker and wouldn't have the extra (useful) weight in the base. :huh:

Still, a great practice piece ... and it's making me think. :thumb:

Like it!

Making projects as practice is a great idea. Nice work! I like to play chess, and it reminds me of an oversized pawn. :D Keep up the good work!

Hutch

Last edited:
Good lookin' job Gary! The only suggestion I would make is to recess the opening so you could add a glass tube for watering. That hides the tube from veiw and gives a clean look. Keep up the great work!

Jim

I agree with Kerry, the bottom needs some work, but really, that is what it is all about, trying new things and getting in as much practice as possible!

Good job!:thumb:

Looks good Gary. I have to agree with the others, though. If the base ended just below that bottom ring, it would look better...and even more like a chess pawn which is the first thought I had upon looking at it.

Thanks for the input. I know the bottom does seem a bit bulky. I liked it for this one but will streamline my future attempts. Of course, I know where my CIDM's (Catch Induced Design Modifications) are in this one.