busted casting...

Ned Bulken

Moved the lathe into the shop tonight, and discovered this:
ouch.jpg

Looks like the other three bolt holes will have to take up the slack for that one.

Ouch! :doh:

This is on the left rear corner of your Delta Midi? That's too bad ... that's the hole I use to store my knock-out bar. :D

I have yet to bolt down my Delta Midi :dunno: ... but I tend to turn smaller stuff, and I do have an extension bed which adds to the weight.

Sorry to see the ding, but it sure shouldn't hurt the operation, though. All the time I used my little Wilton mini (including now, as a buffer for small pieces), I never did see the need to bolt it down.

That is surely not going to affect the lathe much, if need be, maybe Kerry can weld you a new piece on there :D

Ohhhh, I think that getting out to effect the repairs might up the cost on that solution there Stu... but you knew that...

I'm probably going to build up the area with some JB weld, redrill it, but only if I find the lathe isn't stable when I start turning.

All of the above answers... as contrary to popular belief You can weld cast iron. A washer and the broken piece will allow a good clamp down, and little need for bolting down if you put down a rubber mat under the lathe (like those tool box liners or puffy rubber shelf liners.)

Bill, I happen to have an ample supply of router mat, aka rubber placemats on hand, from when I brought home my canoe a few weeks ago.

I haven't located the broken piece yet, but I only remembered to check the likely scene of the damage after I buttoned up my storage unit and was driving home this evening.

Ned, I assure you that if the three remaining bolt holes won't hold down that lathe, then you're turning a way too big (or unbalanced) piece on it. Or you're pushing too hard with the turning tools. ;)