Gift for Granddaughter

This small hand mirror was turned as a birthday gift for our 3 year old granddaughter. It is turned out of one piece of curly maple and is somewhat ‘bomb proof’ to withstand the rigors of a 3 year old! The acrylic bead is from a small bracelet and completes the handle length as well as add a certain ‘jewel’ aspect !

The hand mirror measures 7 ¼” long x 3 3/8” wide x ¾” thick, sanded to 400 grit and has 4 coats of Minwax Gloss Wipe-On Poly.

Hand Mirror V1.JPG Hand Mirror V2.JPG Hand Mirror V3.JPG Hand Mirror V4.JPG

As always your comments, opinions and critiques are encouraged!

Thanks for looking! :wave:

Last edited:
Doing a little two-axis turning, are we? Cool! :thumb:

OK, I'll bite. I understand how you could have turned the handle, and even the insets on the main part of the mirror. But why doesn't the perimeter of the main part look like a rounded bead? Did you sand it down? (If so, great job at getting it so consistent!)

Kerry - I was wondering if anyone would ask 'how in the heck?'... Because it is one piece - roughed out on bandsaw first, then handle was turned, then the face, then back. The remaining rough edges on the body were taken care of on a disk sander on my old lathe.

Very nice Steve. I'm sure she will love the gift. Having my own 3 year old, you are certainly correct on the need to make it "bomb proof" :thumb:

That mirror is nice and will make a great keepsake gift. I saw it over at that other forum and also wondered how you handled the transition from mirror to handle. Now I know! :)