Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Bow Clamp

The Bow Clamp

Just saw this at Toolmonger. I like the design, seems like something you could use in your shop.

From the site"

"Imagine using only two clamps to glue an entire panel, or even just a jig and a few wedges. The exactly machined arc of the Bowclamp allows you to do just that.

Using cauls to evenly distribute clamping pressure isn’t a new concept, but Zig Industries employs modern technology to ensure a perfect arc that spreads the clamping pressure equally along the entire length of the Bowclamp. You only need one clamp at each end.

They cut the shape of the Bowclamp on a CNC machine and also mill a slot down the length of the Bowclamp to capture the lead screw jaw on bar clamps — and it works equally well with pipe and parallel clamps.

Zig Industries sells the Bowclamp in 2′, 3′, and 4′ lengths for $20, $30, and $40 respectively. You can also buy twin-packs of Bowclamps for $35, $55, and $75, and save yourself $5. If you’re seriously into their product, you can buy the master set containing two of every size Bowclamp for $150, a savings of $30 over buying them all individually."
    Last edited by Frank Townend; 08-26-2008 at 08:39 AM. Reason: A 'simple' change to respect fellow forum members. Changed 'make' to 'use' in the first sentence.

The concept is pretty simple, but a lot of work went into determining the correct curve for the "bow" to ensure the pressure is applied evenly along its length.

In other words, you can likely make something similar, but it may not be as effective. Craig Feuerzeig (the inventor of the Bowclamp) is a member here, so maybe he'll have some more insight into the development process.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Yep, they are slick!

IIRC the guy that owns Bow Clamp is a member here....
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Yep, they are slick!

IIRC the guy that owns Bow Clamp is a member here....
    Even if I didn't recall, the fact that Vaughn just said so woulda helped me . . . .
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Even if I didn't recall, the fact that Vaughn just said so woulda helped me . . . .
    Since he's in Tokyo, Stu is already on tomorrow, so he won't see my post until yesterday.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

What a bunch of funny guys

I opened about 10 threads, and went through them answering or commenting as I went, and the this one was one of the last ones I got to, in the mean time, Vaughn answered one post and beat me to it
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Hi guys

You can say "make" Frank. I certainly take no offense. In fact, I would encourage you to try. I always figured everybody did.

Then they call.

The more accurately you can make them, the more uses you will find for them in your shop. In my experience, home-made versions tend to be more of a taper than an arc. This might be handy for putting some pressure out in the middle of a hard to reach area, but won't be use-full for pressing veneer, for example.

And the T-slot helps keep them manageable, by attaching to your clamps.

Sorry, it's hard not to slip into ad-speak.

Of course I'm happy to answer any questions, and thanks for looking.

Yep, Frank,

they're very cool. And lightweights like us can make 'em... I mean, how hard could it be? Craig even gives us the dimensions. And hey, we've got bandsaws, and router tables, and sanders... that's what they're for, right?

If I were Craig, I'd just put on my headphones and smile, cuz everyone thinks he can make one. But Craig's got this little secret: a penthouse shop, with stuff like this in it:

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...ead.php?t=3135

And he's got some awesome skills. Oh, and the experience of making thousands of these. Anyway, I guess this is what we all need to learn: sometimes the simplest things are the hardest to make well!

Thanks,

Bill

Well, I tell you what, if the shipping was not going to cost a lot more than the Bow Clamps, I'd own some for sure
    William Arthur Ward

I've got a few and they work as advertised. Darn handy buggers to have around. I dont have F-types that would fit in the T-slot though so have been using parallel jaw clamps which require a bit of juggling to get the clamps on.
    --------------------------------------------
    Link to my ongoing ClearVue DC Install on CV's site: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones...s-Mini-CV1400/