Another Compass Rose Tutorial

Some time back, I did a tutorial on how to make a veneer compass rose. After that tutorial, some people contacted me and pointed out that the rose required a special 22.5 degree template, which many people might not have.

To remedy that, I just completed another tutorial for a compass rose that only requires a 45 degree triangle.

I hope it will be of value to you.

Mike

Holy cow Mike, that is simply fantastic! :clap: :bow:

Man, that is so very cool :thumb:

Go take a look at the tutorial people, it is really well done, and the final product is simply stunning! :thumb: :D

Thanks Mike, I very much enjoyed that! :)

Mike - Thanks for taking the time to make this and for posting it here. I am always in awe of anybody who has your kind of patience especially when they are willing to take the extra time to share the knoweldege.

Mike,

That's great! I've always wanted to work with veneers and a rose compass seems like a "must do". (After I get the real "must do" list done first.)
Thanks for taking the time to put together the tutorial.

Wes

Thanks Mike! I'm going to use your technique someday. Also enjoyed all the other info and inspirational work on your website! I'm veneer illiterate:(. How do you mate-up the background veneer to the compass rose? Thanks again, Barry

Thanks Mike! I'm going to use your technique someday. Also enjoyed all the other info and inspirational work on your website! I'm veneer illiterate:(. How do you mate-up the background veneer to the compass rose? Thanks again, Barry
I'm going to write that up soon - especially since a couple of people have asked for this. I'll post here when I do it - maybe in a week???

One other thing people have asked for - so I'll post the info here - is a tutorial on doing the sand shaded fans that are shown in the panel. I wrote up a tutorial on that a while back and I just posted it to my web site - it's in pdf. You can see it here. Or go to my web site and look at the entry for 8/24/08.

Thanks to everyone who posted here for your very kind words. Your encouragement makes the work of putting the tutorials together worth while.

Mike

Mike,

it's an excellent tutorial, I just can't imagine finding the time or building the skill to pull that off! ;)

Is there a beginner's version? Something, maybe not as intricate, that a doofus like me could actually pull off to get a feel for the technique?

Thanks,

Bill

Mike,

it's an excellent tutorial, I just can't imagine finding the time or building the skill to pull that off! ;)

Is there a beginner's version? Something, maybe not as intricate, that a doofus like me could actually pull off to get a feel for the technique?

Thanks,

Bill
I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for, Bill. Do you want a simpler compass rose, or some simpler veneer work?

I have a tutorial on how to do a simpler compass rose which you can see on my web site here (in pdf) or at Highland Woodworking in html.

If you're looking for a tutorial on some other aspect of veneer work, please let me know what you'd like to know more about.

Thanks, Mike

Some people had asked me how to inset the compass rose into the field veneer. I added that to my tutorial (separate web page), which you can see here.

I hope it makes sense. If you have any questions or suggestions, please post or send me a note.

Mike

Mike,

Thats amazing and I truly appreciate you taking the time to document it.

Where do you get your Japanese marking tools?

Regards,

Randy

Mike,

Thats amazing and I truly appreciate you taking the time to document it.

Where do you get your Japanese marking tools?

Regards,

Randy
Thanks for posting and for your kind words.

I bought the Japanese marking knives I use off eBay. I went and looked at Japan Woodworker but they only have "fancy" marking knives, which you don't need - all you want is a plain piece of steel with a skew cutting edge - one for each side. Japan Woodworker used to carry plain knives but I guess there wasn't enough profit in it. If I recall, they used to be about $10-12 each.

You can also make a couple yourself from some steel that's close to the right size.

Mike

Thanks for posting and for your kind words.

I bought the Japanese marking knives I use off eBay. I went and looked at Japan Woodworker but they only have "fancy" marking knives, which you don't need - all you want is a plain piece of steel with a skew cutting edge - one for each side. Japan Woodworker used to carry plain knives but I guess there wasn't enough profit in it. If I recall, they used to be about $10-12 each.

You can also make a couple yourself from some steel that's close to the right size.

Mike

I also recommend Japanese marking knives, known as kiridashi or kogatana. I have a few of them. One thing though for this kind of work I recommend a double edged marking knife in this fashion. I have the single edge but find the double edge more flexible to work with.