Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad Words Were Said

Bad Words Were Said

I'm steamed. Hacked. Bummed. Irritated. Upset. Livid. And a whole slew of other words that the CoC won't allow me to say.

I've spent the past few evenings making a NE bowl out of some bone-dry carob wood I got recently. More accurately, some carob-crete...this stuff was the hardest wood I think I've turned. I spent hours just sanding it. Did I mention this wood was hard? It also had a number of cracks, which I diligently filled with charcoal and CA. More time, but it was looking sweet.

I was in the midst of putting the first coat of Antique Oil on it, and it was looking even sweeter. Then it slipped from my hands, dropped on the bench, and a big chunk broke out...all the way into the heartwood. I tried to glue it back into place, but it was not fitting right, and was going to look like a glued-on chunk. Bad words were said. Then I smashed it on the concrete floor and turned it into a few dozen pieces. I could have maybe done something else with the bowl, but by then, I was done with it.

I've got more of this carob-crete, but considering how hard I worked to get this bowl turned and sanded, I think I may wait a while before I try any more. I think it's time to find a nice green piece of wood and turn something easy. Without a natural edge.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I was really tired, I'd been up since 6 AM so I could get the darn walls done, and my lovely daughters back into their bedrooms. I got the one wall all painted last night, looked GREAT this morning, tore off the tape and plastic stuff from the walls, and the floor etc. I then cleaned everything up, and I did the final sanding on the other wall, then the sealer coat, and finally the paint.

Between coats and the drying of various things, I cleaned up, removed tools, removed material, and packed stuff downstairs to then go to the Dungeon, I finally got all done, I had about 5 or 6 arm loads of stuff to go down to the Dungeon, I started off with two 5 gallon buckets full of tools etc, I got halfway down these stairs.........

..... and had both of my feet go slip I dropped both buckets of tools straight down, and went bounce bounce on my (well padded) behind and then straight legged into the concrete floor........ "Ouch" just don't cover it

Lots and lots of bad word were said, rather loudly........

I've got a RED welt on one wrist, my behind hurts, my back hurts and worst of all, my pride hurts

When I straight legged into that floor, I was waiting for the sound of bones snapping (a sound I've VERY familiar with) but, I got really lucky on that count....... but man, I thought for sure......

Hey Vaughn, how maybe we cancel each other out

Sorry about your bowl, that sucks to loose one so close being finished

Better days ahead.....
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu, my mishap only hurt my feelings...yours hurt a lot more than just your feelings. I was grimacing just reading your description. (A bouncing ride down stairs like that would likely put me in the hospital.) Glad to see you weren't hurt any worse than you were. I know how quickly a sudden demonstration of gravity can affect one's well-being.

Now get some rest, young man.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Vaughn, the good news is that it's just wood, and it does grow on trees!

Something tells me you'd get bored with wwing if everything always went without a hitch. FWIW, I learn a new word (or two) with every project! ... Now go wash your mouth out with soap and give it another go!
    Last edited by scott spencer; 08-28-2008 at 12:15 PM.
    Got Wood?

So sorry for the misfortune both for you Vaughn and Stu. Thankfully, you may do another day. Pleased you are both okay, upset understandable, but okay. Hey Vaughn, Got pictures? I bet it would have been a grand piece!
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

I Shed A Tear....

Sorry to hear about the loss. I feel your pain. I just lost a much easier bowl to make yesterday. I am preparing for my first show, and one of my cherry bowls was too thin at the foot. It was pretty much done, finish and all, and I noticed a weird bump in the bottom of the bowl. It turns out that is was paper thin at the foot, and the foot was telegraphing trough making a ridge. It wasn't that thin when I turned it, so I must have gotten carried away with the power lock disks. Grumble. Yes, bad words were said.

It's always disappointing to invest a lot of effort only for it to turn into a 'learning experience' or 'character builder'. Hope the next one turns out.

Hutch

Since we're all sharing, yesterday morning I went out to get in the car for work, remembered my wife parked behind me so I had to move her car so I could get out. Not that big of a deal, but I was already late and it was a monday morning so I wasn't in the best of moods....As I was getting into her car I noticed her back tire was flat!

Yes bad words were said, although not that loud as my neighbors windows were open and my daughter was with me as well...Changed it in record time, but then had to go back in and change shirts, then go back outside and move her car...got to work about 1/2 hr late, no one really noticed!

Last night I blew up a bowl and completely failed in my first attempt at a bottle stopper...today has started better and I won't be in the shop tonight, so hopefully it will end better too.

Hope you are alright Stu, a fall like that will hurt for awhile, IIRC. Vaughn, a green piece of wood with long curlies flying all around does sound in order, and Matt, I know the feeling. I'm getting close to my first show as well and I'm having more failures than ever...time is running out.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Well Vaughn I won't say it has never happened to me and I won't say bad words weren't spoken. Sorry about your bowl but it does happen.

Stu hope your ok and only your pride was really hurt.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Well, my wishes for a full recovery to each of you.

Vaughn - why not glue all the pieces to a plaque. I think they call that art in SoCal.

Stu - I'm trying to visualize your mishap - were you facing away from the ladder when you slipped? Always a bad position to be in to maintain control. Hope your legs and, um, glute recover OK.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will. - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I'm steamed. Hacked. Bummed. Irritated. Upset. Livid. And a whole slew of other words that the CoC won't allow me to say.
    ouch... but there are other pieces of wood out there. As you well know..

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    I was really tired, I'd been up since 6 AM so I could get the darn walls done, and my lovely daughters back into their bedrooms. I got the one wall all painted last night, looked GREAT this morning, tore off the tape and plastic stuff from the walls, and the floor etc. I then cleaned everything up, and I did the final sanding on the other wall, then the sealer coat, and finally the paint.

Between coats and the drying of various things, I cleaned up, removed tools, removed material, and packed stuff downstairs to then go to the Dungeon, I finally got all done, I had about 5 or 6 arm loads of stuff to go down to the Dungeon, I started off with two 5 gallon buckets full of tools etc, I got halfway down these stairs.........

..... and had both of my feet go slip I dropped both buckets of tools straight down, and went bounce bounce on my (well padded) behind and then straight legged into the concrete floor........ "Ouch" just don't cover it

Lots and lots of bad word were said, rather loudly........

I've got a RED welt on one wrist, my behind hurts, my back hurts and worst of all, my pride hurts

When I straight legged into that floor, I was waiting for the sound of bones snapping (a sound I've VERY familiar with) but, I got really lucky on that count....... but man, I thought for sure......

Hey Vaughn, how maybe we cancel each other out

Sorry about your bowl, that sucks to loose one so close being finished

Better days ahead.....
    Stu, you just added incentive for me to figure out a better stair system for my loft. I'm thinking shop tansu myself... something where a series of platforms where I could put things on the platform, get up on it myself with a short ladder and then place things up on the loft floor safely will work better than trying to carry things up a ladder 11'

Hope your pride heals, and the red marks go away soon.
    -Ned