Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jointer

Jointer

It's time to get a decent jointer, I have a little 4" Grizzly that's to small to do anything. Does anybody have any experience with either of these?

Ridgid 6" JP0610

Jet 6" JJ-6OS

They are both similar in price, just below $400. I would like an 8" but they are currently a little out of what I have to spend.

Thanks

Randy

Randy,

I don't have either of these but I do have the enclosed base long bed version of the 6" Jet jointer. It has the self-indexing blades which are a god-send. I guess this may make it to much of an apple to orange comparison but mine is easy to use and produces a good surface. Mine looks to have the same adjustment handles under the beds which seems to make it easier to dial in.

Hope this helps.
    Lee Laird
    Austin TX

Hi Randy,
    I have the Ridgid and have used it alot in the 3 yrs I've had it. It is a decent jointer, easy assembly, true tables. I like that it has handwheels for both infeed and outfeed and the center mounted fence it also a plus. I've probably run 6 or 8k bf across it and have just the other day changed out the original knives ( I have honed them a couple times though). I picked up Freud blades on Amazon for $8/set awhile back ( got 2 sets). I think this is a good jointer for the money, just as good as a Jet or Delta. This has gotten good reviews on this and other forums. I say go for it, I'm glad I did.

John

Editted for dust collection: Better than an open based machine! I have mine hooked to a HFDC
    Madison Woodsmith: Treasures from Timbers? Someday

Haven't used one myself, but one of my co-workers has the Ridgid and has been very happy with it.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks guys, I'm thinking the Ridgid is they way to go. Plus it will match my table saw and planer. Orange isn't my favorite color but its starting to grow on me.

Regards,

Randy

I just noticed the Jet only has a 3/4 HP motor, compared to the 1 HP motor on the Ridgid.

Another one in about the same price range is this Grizzly model.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I'd take the Ridgid over that particular Jet model, though both should serve you well. The full enclosure 1hp Jet was on sale in the spring for $400, as was the Rikon. Griz and Sunhill should also have models in that price range that are worth a look.
    Got Wood?

Yep, the Grizz might be a clone of the Jet but seems to have additional features.
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-Jointer/G0452

I have the Ridgid also and it has been a great machine for my skills and small shop. Its no production machine but works fine for my 7-8 projects a year. I would highly recommend it.

Mark has the Ridgid planer, and it's on my 'wish list', though I think I have an older model c'man which I can get for a lot less money... when I have the money together... (neat trick piling that stuff up, isn't it?)

Ralph, howdy neighbor!
    -Ned