Walnut Bark-Edged NE Bowl

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
A couple of shows ago, I had a guy come to my booth and admire one of my bark-edged NE bowls. I told him I had made one out of walnut, but it had sold already. He asked if I could make another one, since he has a walnut dining set and he thought it'd be a nice addition. I told him I'd have to get back to him on it.

I ended up getting a nice big chunk of walnut from "Mr. Natural Edge", Mark Cothren. (Thanks, Mark!) It ended up about 16" x 13 1/2" x 7 1/2" tall. The finish is Antique Oil, with a seal coat of sprayed dewaxed shellac, then a final few coats of spray satin laquer. Dry sanded from 320 up to 600, then buffed with tripoli and Renaissance wax. It ended up with a nice, smooth surface, without too much gloss. (But too much work.)

I'll contact the guy and see if he's still interested in this bowl. If not, it'll go on the show table with the rest of 'em.

Bowl 052 - 01 800.jpg Bowl 052 - 04 800.jpg Bowl 052 - 03 800.jpg Bowl 052 - 02 800.jpg

Looking at the photos, I'm not completely happy with the outside curve. I may end up putting it back on the late and turning the bump out of it. Not looking forward to the refinishing necessary, though. :rolleyes:

Comments and critiques are welcome...

vaughn, was that a trick comment??? i don't see no stinking bump either. what are your chances of keeping a uniform wall if you rechuck it?

if it ain't broke...don't fix it.

Well, I've decided the bump will stay as-is. I can see it fine in the pics, but in person, I have to work REAL hard to see it. For the non-believers, here's what I'm talking about:

Bowl%20052%20-%2002%20Annotated.jpg

I know it's being nit-picky. I can be pretty critical when I look at someone else's work...I don't think I should be any different about my own. ;)

Vaughn,

I think you are right and it does not look repairable. :) Why don't you send it my way and I will save you the trauma of looking at it and fretting.

Looks good Vaughn.

To help me find "bumps" in a curve before I take the piece off the lathe, I use a cabinet scraper, (but a 6" rule works just as well). Just rock the thin edge on the curve and you will feel the bump or flat spot real easy.

I do much the same thing Ron. This one just didn't really show up under the straightedge as well as some others do.

That's a beautiful NE, Vaughn!

If it were me, I would put it back on the lathe and use a reciprocating gouge to remove the bump from only half of the profile.

:D:D:D

Bump or no bump - that is a good looking bowl! Would be nice if the guy you talked to at the last show buys it - but if not - this will sell within minutes of the start of the show!