sanding centers????

larry merlau

ok its been awhile since i started my shop, actually june of 2007. since that time i have made some wood dust and saw dust too. no lathe curleys tho:D but i have come to realize that i need to do some rethingkin on my sanding- assebly area.. i would like to have a down draft system for the sanding i already use a vac for the RO sanders but the spindle sander and the disk+belt sander combo needs some redesigning.. so i am asking for your input and design ideas for a sanding area that incorporates the whole chebang.. i am lookin at making a bench of sorts that would accomdate all three aspects or tools as it were.. the downdraft part and the 2 tools lets say a bench approximatly 3x8 or i could go 4 x8 but thats cuttin into my space a tad... so lets here from you folks how or what you have and what you would or wouldnt change.. pics are always welcome:D thanks fer ya help

Larry,

How about a picture of the tools you are trying to incorporate into your new bench area for sizing purposes. Not the fan and shovel, I think I have an idea what they would look like!

Larry,

I looked into building a downdraft table...and knocked around a few ideas with tod. The main problem is generating enough suction to get the dust down into the table.

You saw the Harbor Freight DC I have connected to my router table. The way we figured, it would take more than one of them connected to the table to do a good enough job to justify building the table! :dunno:

Take a look at some of the commercial downdraft tables from Sand Pro and Denray. They ain't cheap! :doh:

Here's a link to an interesting discussion on Woodweb about this subject...

- Marty -

suggestions???

well first off " bill" i have to find a camra but its not so much that i need a down draft table as it is a place to sand and room for what i have to sand with.. first of all the spindle sander small version,, delta "Boss' , the next is a 6x48-9"disc combo machine and then just room to lay parts on the matte and sand with out being in the way of something else... and the two tools need suction cuz they make dust!!!1 marty will go there and see what they have to offer in info thanks... right now guys the 2 are on one table and they share a DC outlet but i have to hook and un hook which is a pain in the behind.. and quite often gets not done so there i have dust and i get chastized for a dirrty shop by the most almighty one:) yup marty she aint tall but has a great left hook:) and refuses to feed me then i am in big trouble..:D