Porch ceilings

Jeff Horton

Oh yea, nothing like painting a Porch Ceiling! I sprayed mine but I spend a day just getting it ready to spray. But I must say it looks much better now that is is done. It was the last thing on the house be be painted. Of course that means we just start redoing things that we previously painted I am sure. :rolleyes:

I painted the front porch by myself. I learned that there was a quicker/easier way to mask off the porch than what I did. It took me till lunch just to get it all taped off. Off course I had to cover everything in site!

I did the back porch early this morning. Before any breezed kicked up and my wife had the day off. Putting up sheets of plastic with a helper makes it go 3 to 4 times as fast! We had this ready to paint in less than two hours!

porch_ceiling1.jpg porch_ceiling2.jpg porch_ceiling3.jpg

Middle photo is still wet so the color is way lighter than it when it dries. The last photos is actually the front porch. The color is sort of a sky blue, of course depending on your monitor it could be way off! The rear one is sprayed but waiting on it to dry before removing the "Plastic Oven". It is amazing how fast it heated up in there once all the plastic was hung!

Now a little crow molding and I done!

Last edited:
The ceiling is nice...... but I love the doors! :thumb:

Seriously, it looks good. Reminds me of the Grand Hotel on Mackinac! The color, not the size.:rofl: (none of these pictures are mine BTW - stole them all off the web:eek:)
548120415_56cd5ef680.jpg Ben at the Grand Hotel Mackinac Island.jpg MackinacIsland_GrandHotel.jpg

Very impressive and definitely a Grand Hotel.

When I think of Michigan, I think of Larry Merlau. Now I will also think of the Grand Hotel, but I am not sure together. Then again....trying to visualize Larry sitting in one of those chairs sipping tea....hard to bring into focus....Nope! I thought I had him there for a second, but...I can't say for sure.

I agree with Rennie, Jeff. The doors look great!

Thanks, the doors were hard to find. I looked and looked and finally found a company that had what we wanted. But then I found out that they wanted something like $150 extra for the mantles on the door. NO WAY, HOSE!

So I bought the doors and just built the Mantles myself. Come to think of it, that was the first project to come out of my shop. Of course it wasn't a shop then. Just a storage space with a table saw.

Very impressive and definitely a Grand Hotel.

When I think of Michigan, I think of Larry Merlau. Now I will also think of the Grand Hotel, but I am not sure together. Then again....trying to visualize Larry sitting in one of those chairs sipping tea....hard to bring into focus....Nope! I thought I had him there for a second, but...I can't say for sure.

I agree with Rennie, Jeff. The doors look great!
Well, you know, somewhere on this site is a picture of Larry all dressed up (he cleans up ok). I think, under certain conditions, that Larry might feel at home, and look the part, on the front porch of the Grand..... for a little while.:D