Insulation frustration...

Ned Bulken

I have a little bit of 'extra' money at the moment, and since the colder weather is coming, I've been trying to price roll insulation online... and neither BORG box lists them online. One would think that in snow country they would carry insulation... or have the info on their website. :bang:

Now, surprisingly they both carry Reflectix, which is the silver foil and plastic sheeting which I put under the flooring above the joists. I'm planning on roll/batting between the studs, then reflectix over that on the walls. On the ceiling... if I can Find 24" wide insulation I'll stuff that between the trusses and then reflectix below that. IF I can't find the insulation, I'm 'ok' with going with just reflectix stapled to the trusses. It is supposed to reflect 97% of the heat in either direction... ie, keeps the solar gain in summer, and the heat in in winter.

I used to share a house with my best friend and his wife, and they used reflectix in their renovated 1860's stone house, and it made a huge difference in the heating bill, even when it was the only insulation they could put before they put up the drywall. (limestone building, with 24" thick walls in the main structure, stick construction in the 'new' section from the early 1900's).
Luckily I can go to both borgs as well as Grossman's bargain outlet, who amazingly enough Does carry R19 batts and r-11 roll insulation.

I suspect that the national websites for the Borgs are dropping the ball, and that the management regional or store level would actually know enough to carry it here in NY.

My trailer load of R13 rolls was the cheapest per-foot i could find at ANY borg. It's 16" (15 and some such, actually) by 32' long for a total of 40sq ft ... Around here, they wanted $10.80 per roll. NOTHING came close to the $.27/sqft these rolls did. The biggest jump was going to 24" wide stuff, it was triple the $/sqft and wasn't cut to convenient lengths for what I needed.

The next best $/sqft was the R19 8' length stuff - but it was in the $.40's - like 44 or 46, if memory serves.

I think it may have gone up a bit since then, but it still was my best bet. We had that reflectix stuff in our last office and it really wasn't the right tool for the job there. They put it right up in the rafters, against the roofing underlayment and we had no ceiling - just a big "warehouse concept" - i called it a barn. It was MISERABLE hot in the summers ... but I don't know if it was ONLY the fault of the insulation - i think the installers did a crummy job and really did nothing to help it do it's job.

II suspect that the national websites for the Borgs are dropping the ball, and that the management regional or store level would actually know enough to carry it here in NY.

I've noticed a LOT of items that HD & Lowes both consistently carry that they dont list on their websites. Dont know why that is, but I dont assume they dont have something just from their sites. A phone call usually discovers 50-60% of what I cant find online is something they carry.

I bought 3 rolls of what Jason has in his trailer for 9.80 each at the BORG here. It was the least expensive thing I could find.

100_0192.jpg

Randy

Dang california prices!

Those 30 rolls were plenty for my shop, i still have 9 rolls left over - thinkin' i'll run 'em out in the attic for double the thickness up there :D

Both the Borgs carry insulation here. I suspect the reason it's not on the website is the shipping aspect. Not that it's that heavy, but it is a bulky item, and may have some restrictions on how it is shipped. Jim.

The problem I had was that they listed items online, but when it came to the local inventory or whether or not it was carried at all was lacking.

I did wind up getting one package of paper backed R13 batts, plus two 4' wide rolls of reflectix The reflectix will add R6.5. for just about R19 overall It will be the first of many trips and similar purchases. I simply can't carry the freight on all at once.

Pics later today, when I get around to doing something with them. I expect I'll be able to do the far end wall of the shop, below the loft with what I picked up today.

The Borgs have it in their stores but I believe they don't list on their site, those items with fluxuating prices. I would check your local lumber yards for pricing and compare, often they are cheaper.

The BORGs lure you in with cheaper everyday materials but the "While you are at it" materials are usually higher. (make up the difference)

Ned, Have looked at places that build pole barns? I was able to pick up used insul board( 2"thick x 4' wide x 8' tall) for 8 dollars each. The only thing is they had a few holes from nails. This could be a faster way of insulating the building and cheaper.