Flip Top - Revisited

glenn bradley

Discussions about flip top cabinets resurface now and then. I had decided to change from four locking swivel casters to two swivel and two fixed. As long as I had the machines off the table I thought I would get some better shots of the cabinet itself. Hope this helps anyone planning or building.

He looks kinda flimsy unloaded but it is quite sturdy:

FT-2-Unloaded.jpg

I had to modify the caster stand-offs to accept the new caster layout but they are still hidden by the skirt:

FT-2-Underside.jpg

Here's the eye-bolt table-top lock idea I stole from some brilliant person whom I can't recall (I just know it wasn't me):

FT-2-Latch-Detail-1.jpg

Another shot of the latch/lock:

FT-2-Latch-Detail-2.jpg

A view of the top-sandwich. I made mine thicker than most recommended plans I saw. This allows one side of the the top to be removable so I can change t-nut locations or add through bolts:

FT-2-Top-Exposed.jpg

Here's a shot of the side with the screws:

FT-2-Top-Screws.jpg

I have flipped this thing hundreds of times and with a little thought about placement, the various tools I have used it for flip without much effort at all. It currently holds my 80lb planer and a 60lb sander.

OK, I'm on a roll out there so, it's back to the shop!

Last edited:
I recently used Glenn's methods to build two flip tops, should have done it years ago! One holds my Delta 22-580 planner and Dewalt 735 CSMS, the other holds the bench top mortiser on one side and is a flat work area on the opposite side. I'm planning a third for a couple of grinders and sharpening stuff on one side and a 42" X 1" sander on the other too. Glenn's method of securing the top with eye bolts is slick and very secure, once locked down it's rock solid.

I found solid metal knobs at Enco for only $2.14 ea which I think is an improvement over the plastic ones.
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=240-0766

Mike

Very slick, Glenn. If I had the floor space, I could use one or two of those myself. As it is, I set the tools like my planer or mortiser on a bench, on the MSUV in the driveway, or on top of the table saw. I don't have the room for another box in the shop right now. I'll definitely use this idea if and when I move into a bigger shop someday.

Great Idea, but when you flip it over, doesn't all the dust and chips fall out? I don't know about you, but it takes me a considerable amount of effort to get my piles of dust, just right.... :huh: Seriously, on that line, did you consider a bin of sorts to catch the chips and dust that Will fall out, for easier cleanup.

I especially like your "latches" should make for a secure positioning. :thumb:

Thanks for the posting :type:

Seriously, on that line, did you consider a bin of sorts to catch the chips and dust that Will fall out, for easier cleanup.

I hook the DC to the planer and a triggered shop vac to the sander. there's not a lot of dust to dump . . . at least from those two tools :rolleyes:. Now the small bandsaw . . . I gotta build a vac hookup for that baby :doh:.

I guess in the 70's they thought that hole in the bottom of the housing was adequate(?) :rofl:

Great idea Glenn.

I've never thought about it and I think I'm going to use it at my shop, it will spare me the hassle of setting up a machine each time I need it.

Thanks for posting!