Maple & Walnut Heirloom Baby Cradle

Dewayne Baker

I have just completed this cradle made from maple and walnut. The cradle is the second I have made from the same plan. We are expecting twin girls in October so we decided on two cradles rather than one big one. The plan originates from a December 1986 issue of Woodsmith magazine. I altered the plan to accommodate a standard 18”x36” cradle mattress. I don’t have a lathe so I made slats for the sides instead of spindles. The knobs where shaped using a jig at the router table and final turning at the drill press.

Now without further delay here are a few photos.

cradlemaplewaln00005alt.jpg

cradlemaplewaln00016alt.jpg

cradlemaplewaln00018alt.jpg

When I purchased the stock for this project I couldn’t resist throwing in a stick of tiger maple. I incorporated the figured maple in the basket side frames. This is a really fun project and I enjoyed building it just as much the second time as I did the first. The finish is 1 coat of shellac 1# cut followed by two coats of oil and varnish mix and a coat of furniture wax.

Thanks for looking, questions and comments are always welcome.

WOOOOW!!!!

that is one sweeet cradle,, you done a very superb job and the specail maple is no.1 you make the flat folks proud! nice mix of walnut and maple and flat spindles are a nice touch and wedge tenons are a nice touch as well.. one fine cradle and i am sure that the little one coming will be too!!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Wow Dewayne, you hit another one out of the park. That cradle is gorgeous. :bow:

And congrats on the upcoming new arrivals, too. :thumb:

thankyou sir for posting those pics, excellent craftsmanship.

congrats on the twins on the way. (2 girls , might be a good time to think about adding a new bathroom so you get a chance to get in there in a few years from now):D

can I ask, from start of cutting to finishing construction, without finishing, what appro amount of time did you invest in one cradle.?(it really is a beautiful thing)

Last edited:
Thank you all for the comments and complements. I don't think the new arrivals will notice the fine woodwork that cradles them until they see them again when they are used for my Grand children.

Allen, I would estimate the time invested in this cradle to be about 90 to 120 hours. I worked on this one a few hours a week for several months.

Just like all of your work, beautiful! definately heirloom furnature. Congrats on the twins also. We sill need to see a pic of them together in their cradles :thumb:

Tom

That's fantastic. I really like the intermixing of the woods and figures. It really works well. I'm sure this will be an heirloom passed down through the ages. Nice job.

Well, first things first eh?....congratulations!!! (on the twins)

Second...the cradle...WOW!!...very nice...nothing else to say.

well .... maybe three things to throw in :thumb: (for the cradle) :thumb::thumb: (for the twins)

cheers eh?

Dewayne, if ever a truth was spoken you said it when you called that an heirloom. Man, that is one beautiful piece of work and I can see it being passed down in your family for years. I hope you signed and dated that beauty somewhere.

Congratulations on a wonderful piece of work!:thumb::thumb: