Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skeleton clock

Skeleton clock

This is a Spalted Birch and Wenge clock I had finished with 3 coats of spray poly but did not like the plastic look or feel of it . I rubbed down the poly with oooo steel wool and applied wax over it to give a softer finish.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sp skelton clock 2 copy.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	23442 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sp skelton clock 2a copy.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	23443

The Wenge is a sink cut out from a kitchen worktop.
    the second photo is a bit out of focus.......... will do better comments and critque welcome.
    "Every day's a school day"

Being honest John, the base doesn't do this absolutely beautiful clock justice. I realize you put a lot of effort into the base, but I feel it distracts from the clock.

I mean no disrespect at all.

Beautiful clock.

Thanks for your comment Frank. My son said the base reminded him of a Chinese Junk All comments are welcome because how else are we to learn if what we are doing is improving or not. Design is down to individual taste but their is a still the point of does it work or not the comments I have read about my own posts and others does help me with my learning process and it is thanks to the people like yourself that reply to posts that the learning curve is maybe not as high as it was. Thanks.

John that is a beautiful clock. IMHO I would have used the same wood for the base myself but that is just me. Well done.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bernie had a good idea to make the base the same wood instead of the contrasting dark wood. However, an even simpler fix to the issue, IMHO, that seems to bother all of us might be to flip the base over. What seems to be bother me anyway is that it looks to be ready to topple over. We don't want things to be "anchored into the table", but we don't wont them looking like there just about to fall over either. Maybe lighten it up weight wise and flip it over on the next one. This clock is a fine piece and you did a great job on it. And like you said, design is an individual thing up to a point. There are some universal design flaws that we all make though and we can help each other with some of them when they begin to be obvious. I hope this makes sense and is helpful for the next wonderful clock that you make.
    Last edited by Doug Miller; 09-01-2008 at 04:32 PM.

I think the way the base is now gives the clock a 'floating' look.
    Nuttin' wrong wid it. It is the artists expression. My vote: Leave as is.

I'll go with Frank. I like it.

John,

Great looking clock. Well done. I tend to like the base. To me it works having the contrasting woods. Just my .02 cents worth.

Regards,
    Lee Laird
    Austin TX

Very nice work, John. This is one you should be proud of. I like it fine as-is, but I also like Doug's suggestion to flip the base over. The contrasting wood colors work for me.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Miller View Post
    There are some universal design flaws that we all make though and we can help each other with some of them when they begin to be obvious. I hope this makes sense and is helpful for the next wonderful clock that you make.

Doug this is what makes this forum so interesting, people on it give their opinions good or bad but they also give their thoughts on how to improve and help with design. When doing the clock I had locked the design in my head and did not deviate from it so having other people suggest how to change it may open up new doors in my design process.
    Looking at the clock as I am typing this I can see that what people have suggested will work and I will be attempting another clock soon so the suggestions will be tried out to see how it looks.

I would like to thank everyone for their comments, it is good to have people other than family (whose comments are nearly always good ) to look at and critique the work done Thank You.