Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Japanese Chisel Handle Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    May be so Frank, but I know that Table Salt and Sea Salt are sold here as different things, table salt, I think, has a lot more iodine in it.......
    Yep, sea salt is sea salt. Salt for table use does have iodine added, at least in the U.S. Brine is salt water. I still question it's value as a blueing/blackening agent for steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    May be so Frank, but I know that Table Salt and Sea Salt are sold here as different things, table salt, I think, has a lot more iodine in it.......
    The amount of iodine added to salt is VERY small - and you can buy table salt without it.

Sea salt is just a gimmick to charge yuppies more money for a very inexpensive product. It's strictly marketing - there's no real difference in salt (NaCl).

Brine = salty water.

Mike

[And just a historical note, for most of mankind's history, the primary source of salt was evaporation of sea water. It's only been fairly recent that we've mined it. But even the mined stuff originally came from sea water deposits. See the book "Salt: A World History" by Kurlansky.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 09-01-2008 at 05:43 PM.
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Great job, Stu!

I have several small-ish (non-Japanese) socket chisels that were delivered along with my used Shopsmith years ago. The number of chisels roughly matches the number of handles, but few (if any) of them seem to be a good match. You've got me thinking about bring them back into a usable condition....

As far as the blackening goes, would the steel-wool-dissolved-in-vinegar trick that I've read about for ebonizing wood have the same effect on steel? On second thought, that would be like painting the steel with rust, wouldn't it? Hmmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Burton View Post
    Great job, Stu!

I have several small-ish (non-Japanese) socket chisels that were delivered along with my used Shopsmith years ago. The number of chisels roughly matches the number of handles, but few (if any) of them seem to be a good match. You've got me thinking about bring them back into a usable condition....

As far as the blackening goes, would the steel-wool-dissolved-in-vinegar trick that I've read about for ebonizing wood have the same effect on steel? On second thought, that would be like painting the steel with rust, wouldn't it? Hmmmm....
    Painting steel with rust is pretty much what browning/blueing/blackening is.

Cool - so I might be on the right track?