How about those man make decking material? Will 5½" (6X6) actual size work? You may be able to get the cut-offs from job sites.

Questions:
1) What is fiphon? :huh:

2) 6" x 6"? That sounds kinda squat ... will this be more like a [mortar] than a classic "pirate ship cannon"? (If so, check out [this interesting page].)​
Sounds like a cool project. Good luck, and let us know what you learn about turning plastic (if that's what you end up going with). Oh - and don't forget to take pictures! :)

Chuck,
How about high density polyurethane like Butter-Board or Ren Shape? I know they would turn better than a lower density urethane like Fypon. I have made prototypes with Butter-board, and it does turn like butter!:D Takes a finish well too.

FWIW, Wes

Interesting Option

I don't know if it's possible with a blank that big, but there is a guy around here who stabilizes pen blanks and sells them at Woodcraft. Basically the wood is impregnated all the way through with some type of acrylic or epoxy/plastic whatnot.... Anywho, the point is that they most likely would be weatherproof. Maybe you have someone in your area who can do this??

Hutch

Hi Chuck.

PU rigid foam comes in different densitys and thicknesses. Easy to glue, easy to work and light weight. ( Use a mask when working with it)

There is another type of rigid foam that I think is called Clark foam in US, it is made from PS ( not EPS) and it is stronger than PU foam.