My abscence.....pics.

Steve Ash

I noticed that Tod asked where I was so I thought I'd take a few minutes and tell you what has been going on.

Our area got hit real hard with a hail storm July 2, since then I have been working as usual from 8:00 - 5:00, come home, eat supper, then go do estimates till dark. I have done close to 60-70 estimates. People are needing new roofs, siding, facia and gutters/downspouts....sometimes new windows.

Here is a picture of what the hail did to peoples siding.
P1010297.jpg

P1010302.jpg

P1010298.jpg

Farmers crops were shredded......(luckily mine were spared.)

P1010305.jpg

It wasn't long before my bids were being accepted and I was extremely busy. I hired my sons on the weekends to do roofing, but their boss needed them on saturdays to finish up what they were doing in a nearby factory (they are both electricians) so I hired a full time roofing subcontractor, I also hired a new man to help me do the vinyl siding and facia, I also have a need for a guy doing gutters after I get done.

I'll be honest folks.....this was much needed for me, our area has been real depressed with not much work. I am fortunate in that I have enough to "get by" but when this hail storm hit, I went from just me working to swamped with work. I think I have received around 20 contracts on work I bid on, with more estimates yet to do. Granted I am not getting all that I bid on, but I am getting more than I had hoped for. This has been a blessing for me and I am thankful for it.

So, I am not on the computer much, and not anything at all going on out in the workshop, I go to work, do estimates, check my computer briefly for any information in regards to invoices/proposals from my roofing contractor.....check in the tractor forum (still have mod duties you know) and go off to bed, to wake up again at 6:00 a.m. and start again.

I did manage to get one thing done for myself.....a fence in front of the barn that I did on Sunday.
P1010369.jpg

So, now you know what I have been up to.....a busy, busy fella, but not complaining for a minute about it, just thankful for every bit of it.:thumb:

Hi Steve :wave:,
Your being gone is for a good thing. Congratulations, make hay while the sun shines, and Tod, thanks for helping us find out about "The Ashman" and his whereabouts.:D
Shaz :)

Glad your business is good. Unfortunate for those folks who needed your services.
Could use you here. I just ordered a gutter job for the house. Getting the kind that have a cover and don't need cleaning. Paying way too much but the company that has these is the only game in town.

Sorry for all those folk's damaged goods but you are in an enviable position in this economy; really busy. Hang in there.

Glad your absence is because you're busy Steve - too bad it's all coming at once. Feast or famine I guess.:( Just hope the folks needing your help are getting along OK - that must have been some storm!

Wes

Glad to see you're OK and staying busy. It's good that you've got lots of business, but a shame it took a disaster to make it happen.

Glad to see you're OK and staying busy. It's good that you've got lots of business, but a shame it took a disaster to make it happen.

Yeah, last year a tornado hit within a 1/2 mile of me. I just got done rebuilding a garage for the local veterinarian (insurance co. dragged their feet on this one):( when I got the call for all this hail damage. Seems I am tidying up the mess mother nature leaves around here.

One good thing also is that I have been buying some much needed tools and equiptment to meet these extra needs....even went big time and got my work truck and jobsite trailer custom decaled:thumb: complete with name logo and my slogan "Our business has been building since 1989"

...Seems I am tidying up the mess mother nature leaves around here...
On the upside, at least you know the people you're working for are getting a good job at a fair price. I suspect there are a lot of shysters running around after a big storm, too. ;)

I suspect there are a lot of shysters running around after a big storm, too. ;)

Yep....we call em storm chasers....kinda like ambulance chasers.

The local paper advised residents to make sure that they use a reputable, licensed and insured contractor. Guy asked me yesterday what my schedule was like....seems a guy got started on his house then left after doing just the roof, house still needs windows, siding etc. I told him I could add him, but it would be several months before he got to the top of my list.

One other good thing is that I have made a ton of contacts, which might lead to future work.