vinyl siding

Frank Fusco

When we bought our house about six years ago, I was very pleased that it has vinyl siding. We bought with several factors in mind, not the least of which is the very real fact that we are aging. A maintenance free exterior was a big plus. Wooden ye know it? In the first five years we had three hailstorms that did extensive damage to the house, mainly roof and siding. Two claims exceeded $15,000.00, the third just under $5,000.00. Our insurance company, Shelter, paid promptly and gave great service. But, I am hugely disappointed with the fact that the siding breaks so easily. It is very thin and brittle. Milk jugs are made of better quality plastic. Why (yep, I know, it's a rhetorical question) can't the manufacturers make the siding of a more flexible material? I approached the insurance company and asked if they could have a more expensive siding installed on the whole house, thus preventing more similar claims in the future. They would not do it because, by law, they cannot require me to stay with them as an insurer. Fortunately for me, in Arkansas, by law, an insurance company cannot drop a client or raise his rates for claims caused by acts of God.
I guess, after my venting, the message here is, if you are considering siding, do be willing to pay a lot more for a type that is hail resistant. It will be cheaper in the long run.

All vinly sideing breaks down and becomes brittle. My house has one wall that get direct light all day, which cuases it to break down quick. Just replaced it last year and it was only 10 years old.:dunno: Next time I am going with a hardy board.

am i hearing you say "ya` get what ya` pay for" frank?....;)

Tod, I don't subscribe to that broad theory. These days you don't know what comes from who or where when you buy it. A high priced item might be the identical product as an economy brand.
I once read a product report in a magazine about hiking shoes. The same shoe with a ritzy label sold for, like, $199.00, another little less ritzy brand, it sold for about $129.00 and down the line; $89.00; $59.00 on down to Wal-Mart, $29.96. Same hiking boot but without the status/snob appeal.
A relative owns an Audi. Parts prices are scandalously higher than the identical parts when bought for a Volkswagen.
No, I think the siding thing is a marketing gimmik to sell more siding. Our local supplier doesn't even carry something different than mine.

Dunno Frank, but golf ball sized balls of ice falling from the sky is most likely going to damage any vinyl siding :dunno:

Hardi Plank and paint sounds good ;) :wave:

I have 11 buildings with vinyl siding that I have maintained for 15 years I wouldn't recommend vinyl siding to anyone on a bet.

Hardy plank & paint is the way to go.

Another product I will not use is cellulose insulation it only retains its fire retardant ability for about 5 years or a little more. I have seen this proven many times.

Use rock wool or fiberglass.

concrete cracks, vinyl cracks, wood takes abuse but dents and rots.
concrete and wood need painted (or stained)...
me i`d go with stained cedar or redwood...........advice worth what it cost:rolleyes:

concrete cracks, vinyl cracks, wood takes abuse but dents and rots.
concrete and wood need painted (or stained)...
me i`d go with stained cedar or redwood...........advice worth what it cost:rolleyes:

Oh, well....I'll keep that in mind for my next life. When I leave this house, it will be feet first. That might be tomorrow, it might not be for another 20 years.