Tool Cabinet: kids moving into the rooms!

Dominic Greco

Hi gang,
Over the past week I managed to squeeze in a little shop time. This was no easy feat since I was working a couple 14 hour days! (God bless Caffeine!)

Anyway I moved my jointer, and fore planes into the "plane till". The photo below shows the Tool cabinet with Plane Till door closed.
toolcabinet_2b.jpg

And this one shows it with the Plane Till door open
toolcabinet_1b.jpg

I had room enough for my 608, Union No7, 607, Stanley 6C (type 16), 605, 605 1/2C, and 5 1/2 (type 11). I used the same cleats I made a couple months ago. I just moved them from the panel that was hanging above my work bench. I just needed to make (2) more cleats and then I was done.

Since I worked so much OT, I got some comp time and was able to pull off a 4 1/2 day weekend. During that time I laid out the tool holder panels for one door. The panels are 3/16" thk and will fit right inside the door and be mounted to the sides of the box frame doors with screws. The frame is ambrosia maple.

Why the tool holder panel? Well this way I will avoid my fear of driving a screw right through the nice new panel of my door! The holders will be screwed in from the back using counter sunk screws. And if I make it look like swiss cheese after a while, I can replace it a whole heck of a lot easier than a door panel!
yellowbiggrin.gif

doorpanelw-tools_1.jpg

At one time this was all laid out using AutoCad. However, several tool acquisitions later I find myself needing to change the layout! I'm working on the layout a bit at a time but I'm pretty sure that this is the one I'm going with. BTW, notice the blank spot next to the Veritas Wheel Marking Gauge? I'm saving room for one with their new mortice marking wheels! (wheee!!)

What do you think of the layout? Any advice?

See ya around,
Dominic

Nice collection and selection of Planes. and a really nice cabinet for their safe keeping. Thanks for the post and picture.

Man, the only problem I see is the cabinet's already almost full. Where are you gonna put new acquisitions? :D You just KNOW some lonely plane is gonna follow you home one of these days. ;)

The whole thing looks great, Dominic. Well organized and nicely built. :thumb:

Actually, I'm thinning the herd!

Man, the only problem I see is the cabinet's already almost full. Where are you gonna put new acquisitions? :D You just KNOW some lonely plane is gonna follow you home one of these days. ;)

The whole thing looks great, Dominic. Well organized and nicely built. :thumb:

Thanks for the compliments! Vaughn! And I hear you about the cabinet being almost full. I designed it when I have about 6 or so LESS planes. And since it took so long to build I picked up a couple other tools along the way!

To be honest I'm going to be selling off some of my "doubles", I have an extra Sargent No6, a Type 15 No4C, a type 11 3. Not to mention a No. 45, 60 1/2, and No80 Scraper. These are all duplicates or ones I have upgraded over the past year. Selling these will also finance buying that LV Skew rabbit plane I've been eyeing up.

VERY nice lookin' :)

Two things...

First: Is that a chisel sitting above your awls? My clutzy hands would get tore all up when reaching for that awl on the right. I'd surely slam my nuckle into a sharp edge, no doubt.

Second: Where do you buy the magic floating pencils??? :huh::huh::dunno::rofl:

Looks very nice! I am checking out the details, because I will be building something similar this winter. That is really smart using an insertable panel to hang the tools on. Easy to change without messing up the actual box.

It's a flush cut saw

Is that a chisel sitting above your awls? My clutzy hands would get tore all up when reaching for that awl on the right. I'd surely slam my nuckle into a sharp edge, no doubt.

Thanks for the compliments!

It's a Veritas Flush Cut Saw. I left enough room so that you can easily lift the awl out without even coming close to the teeth on the saw. All of the tools were placed so that I could get my hands on them without banging into their sharp edges.

Oh forgot to mention about the pencil. All I have to say is two words. "Super Glue" :D:rofl:

Last edited:
Thanks Bill

Looks very nice! I am checking out the details, because I will be building something similar this winter. That is really smart using an insertable panel to hang the tools on. Easy to change without messing up the actual box.

Bill,
Thanks for the compliments! That idea about the removable panel for the tools was an inspiried one. I was really worried about ruining my nice clean door panels. I was worried that the extra weight would be too much. But the panel really doesn't weigh much at all.

Besides being some insurance against messing up the door panel, this stiffens the door nicely.