Vista/Google gripe

Frank Fusco

:soapbox:The more I use Vista, the less I like it. Among the many gripes, I am not happy about my Bookmarks (formerly Favorites) being stored at, or by, Google. I want them on my computer and not somebodys server where my privacy is open to whomever. Plus, just today, I found out that my entire web browsing history was being stored in the Google servers. They simply have no business with private folks personal viewing, meaning personal business. This has serious implications beyond description. Fortunately, with some clicking around, I found out how to stop (they call it 'pause') the collection and saving of my browsing history. Forgive me if I don't believe them. Now, I would like to know how to save my Bookmarks/Favorites in MY computer, not on Googles server. :soapbox:

Frank,

Which browser are you using? You should just store your favorites/bookmarks on your computer for the browser you are using. Just don't use Google for anything but searching...or why not use another search engine?

Frank, your bookmarks are being stored on Google's servers because you are adding them from the option on your Google toolbar, and not to the "Bookmarks" or "Favorites" menu option at the top of your browser. They are being stored exactly where you told them to be.

Here's an example of the two different options, in both IE and Firefox:

Bookmark%20Annotation.jpg

If you use the menu option instead of the toolbar option, the bookmarks/favorites you save should remain on your computer only.

Frank, your bookmarks are being stored on Google's servers because you are adding them from the option on your Google toolbar, and not to the "Bookmarks" or "Favorites" menu option at the top of your browser. They are being stored exactly where you told them to be.

Here's an example of the two different options, in both IE and Firefox:

Bookmark%20Annotation.jpg

If you use the menu option instead of the toolbar option, the bookmarks/favorites you save should remain on your computer only.

Yep, I can see that. But, I got what I got when I got Vista. With the Google storing option turned off, I don't have any place to store Favs. The old tool bar seems gone. Where'ditgo?

I'm not fully up to speed on Vista, but with IE, it looks like they removed the menu. The Favorites option is still available on the toolbar:

Bookmark%20Annotation%20IE%20on%20Vista.jpg

On Firefox, I'm still seeing the "Bookmarks" menu option on Vista.

What browser are you running, Frank?

Windows Vista only: I've recently engaged on a more serious foray back into the world of Windows Vista (turns out it's not that bad), and one of the first sources of major confusion for me came the first time I tried to access the menu bar in the new Windows Explorer. Why? Because it's not there. Luckily, if you're big on the functionality therein, it's not all that difficult to get it back. First, if you prefer the clean look without the menu bar, you can just tap the Alt key whenever you want to access the menu bar and it'll pop up until you click elsewhere. On the other hand, if you want it back permanently, just click the new Organize button, then go to Layout, select Menu Bar, and voilà! Similarly, in Internet Explorer you can bring it back by going to Tools -> Menu Bar. Simple, but it was a major source of confusion to begin with.

Well....I'll be hanged. Two clicks all it took. I would change that "confusion" to 'frustration' for me. Thanks.

Frank

I don't have Vista, but the thing I have learned about these computers is:

Never assume that just because something in a new program isn't the same as it was in the old version that it is actually gone. Many if not most changes are just different default options being set to make it look "REALLY REALLY NEW" when all they do is mainly change the appearance by changing the default set up.

There are exceptions to this but usually what you want is still there just pretty well hidden. Hey if they didn't hide the old stuff who would buy new..?

Good luck with Vista..This is an old EMachine P3 500 with Win 98... Newest I have is XP
Garry.