Crimson Bowl

This is an experiment in color! Please let me know what you think!

Plain maple bowl, with no interesting grain characteristics, dyed with RIT Crimson Red dye. The dye was dissolved (somewhat) in DNA and applied to the bowl using a 1” foam brush. I have dyed a couple of white birch hollow forms before and thought I knew what to expect – wrong! The maple sucked in the DNA dye mixture so fast that it was hard to keep a wet edge while applying the dye. Would have been nicer to have had a bucket to just dip the bowl in – but maybe next time! Anyway, the bowl sucked in so much of the dye that it warped – BAD. Thought it was going to split right down the middle but as it dried out it did return to its finished form.

Crimson Red Maple Bowl, 8 ½” x 3 ½” x 5/16” thick, sanded to 320 grit and has 7 coats of Minwax Wipe-On Gloss Poly. Plan on buffing it once the poly cures for a few weeks.

Crimson Bowl V1.JPG Crimson Bowl V2.JPG Crimson Bowl V3.JPG Crimson Bowl V4.jpg

As always, your comments, opinions and critiques are welcome!

Thanks for looking! :wave:

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Vaughn - will give the spray gun idea a little thought but am getting ready to change gears and start doing some green wood rough outs. Not much to post about but sure is fun turning!

Looks great Steve. Glad it moved back into form when it dried.

Have fun with the long culies while roughing. (still my favorite part of turning)

This is an experiment in color! Please let me know what you think!

Plain maple bowl, with no interesting grain characteristics, dyed with RIT Crimson Red dye. The dye was dissolved (somewhat) in DNA and applied to the bowl using a 1” foam brush. I have dyed a couple of white birch hollow forms before and thought I knew what to expect – wrong! The maple sucked in the DNA dye mixture so fast that it was hard to keep a wet edge while applying the dye. Would have been nicer to have had a bucket to just dip the bowl in – but maybe next time! Anyway, the bowl sucked in so much of the dye that it warped – BAD. Thought it was going to split right down the middle but as it dried out it did return to its finished form.

Crimson Red Maple Bowl, 8 ½” x 3 ½” x 5/16” thick, sanded to 320 grit and has 7 coats of Minwax Wipe-On Gloss Poly. Plan on buffing it once the poly cures for a few weeks.

View attachment 23652 View attachment 23653 View attachment 23654 View attachment 23655

As always, your comments, opinions and critiques are welcome!

Thanks for looking! :wave:
Hello Steve,
I'm new around here and your dyed bowl caught my eye. Nice form and execution.
Did you mix the RIT according to the box directions, just substituting DNA for water or do you have your own recipe?
I've got a chunk of Limba I want to make into a shallow bowl or platter and while the wood has a nice grain structure the color is pretty bland. I was thinking of staining, but dyes have a much larger palette to choose from.

Ron - glad you liked the bowl!

I didn't follow the RIT directions. Just shook about 1/2 teaspoon of powered dye into a plastic butter container, added close to 1/2 cup of DNA, stirred with a 1" foam brush for about 30 seconds and applied. Be advised - only a portion of the dye will disolve but the color will be very intense and work quite well. Also, the DNA evaporates at a very rapid pace - so apply the dye mixture fairly quickly or you will be mixing more before you get your bowl completed. DAMHIKT!!