Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rockwell/Delta 12"disc / 6" x 48" belt sander

Rockwell/Delta 12"disc / 6" x 48" belt sander

My 1st and maybe last try at fixing old equipment!
    Advertised at $75 so I bought it, a 30+ yr old sander, tore it apart, then painted the parts. But the belt table & bracket & handle was missing along with top and side guard. It needed new bearings and a motor. After a week I found parts online but they would be close to $300 with shipping and fees to Canada. A new motor would be a minimum of $250. Then I spied another sander for sale, newer maybe only 10 yrs old or less, and no parts missing , but with a 2 hp 575V 3 phase motor and the belt and top guards cut up by the belt . So I bought it at a great price , & sold the 1st one. So far #2 sander's cost to get running will will be $100 for a used 2 hp TEFC 3400 rpm motor, about $50 for the bearings on order and another $50 for some Rustoleum light and dark grey machine paint and a power cord & 240V plug. The motor took the best part of a day to get mounted after modifying the motor bracket and it has to hang out the door opening for clearance. To repair the guards I tried J Bweld, great stuff!
    Some pics of this adventure so far

the $75 sander
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5307.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	23690
    #2 sander

Name:	IMG_5320-2.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	23691
    damage to the side guard

Name:	IMG_5322-1.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	23692
    side belt guard with J Bweld and auto spot putty

Name:	IMG_5327.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	23693
    Top guard with lots of J Bweld spread on the inside

Name:	IMG_5324.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	23694
    painted

Name:	IMG_5330.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	23695
    old motor painted

Name:	IMG_5332.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	23696
    waiting for 3 more bearings to show up

Name:	IMG_5333.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	23697
    hobby woodworking since 1972

My Powermatic 30 sander, which is a similar design had its belt cover completely cut apart by errant belts. Someone had poorly welded it back togethter but I ended up cutting out the welds and am replacing some of the metal. Some of these machines lived pretty hard lives.

There's a thread on owwm.org on truing up the drums. They frequently wear to a W shape which makes them track poorly. You might want to check yours before you get it too far back together.

My top drums need work, may replace them as they were loose on the shaft, wearing the hole in them larger. Bottom still has the crown. I should have kept #1 sander for a while till I got this one torn down. Now I have to buy back the top drums. Some parts of this sander look like it's almost new. Sure had a lot of gunk on it. It came out of a small shop. Having a welder would have been great to repair the side guard. One tool I should have.
    Last edited by Bryan Cowing; 09-09-2008 at 09:12 AM.

Bryan, I am guessing that you know this now. But number one thing in any old machine is completeness!! Are all the parts there?

That is the only machine I am (sort of) looking for BTW.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post
    Bryan, I am guessing that you know this now. But number one thing in any old machine is completeness!! Are all the parts there?

That is the only machine I am (sort of) looking for BTW.
    I seem to learn everything the hard-way . I got my $75 back from the 1 st sander and I gained a new 1/2 hp motor from it, which I put on my old Jet strip sander. Way better than the old tired 1/3 rd hp washing machine motor I was using on it. I really hate waiting for parts!! Can't wait to get it together and try it out!

I was looking at the new Delta disc / belt sanders today. They have a huge cabinet! I don't like the look of them, really Chinese looking now! No parts on the machine look to be from the old Rockwell/Delta design. All kinda squarish looking.

Finally done!

I got it back together today, took about 7 hours. Glad it's done, having parts spread all over, I could not use the shop for anything else. Sander and parts, about $400
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5334.JPG   IMG_5335.JPG  

Can not beat that for $400. Looks great and I am sure it will get lots of use.

Looks great, and at the prices I've seen those advertised at, $400 total plus your time is a great deal. I'll probably end up at about $500 in my Powermatic plus a lot of time.

I rearranged some of the machines to get the sander to fit in along the wall. I had to pull my rolling tool chest out and tuck it behind the TS for now. I better not bring any more orphans home to the shop! I hooked up the DC and did some test sanding ... sweet! I think I am going to like having a belt/disc sander

Name:	IMG_5337-1.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	23871

I picked one up about 3 weeks back pretty much complete missing one of the knobs on top and a handle I broke moving it. Yours looks great and thank you for the idea about JB weld mine has the same wounds your did. I paid $200 motor works and fits in cabinet. I hope it looks as good as yours when done