Shop project planning... New Bench nearly complete

Vaughn,
I'll let you know how it works out, of course. I expect it will be a great help, My two clutter collectors on the far wall are sturdy as all get out, but not to good when it comes to clamping etc... this one is all about that, and for not too much money.
Rob,
dropped you a PM (and got yours in repy)

several things influenced my building this bench, I used leftovers from the shop where I could, such as the main cross beam. I did pick up a couple of 2x4's for the benchtop, (not so happy with the boards, may replace them at some point, but it will do for a start)

And as for the hardware, I honestly haven't kept track, but let's see if I can estimate...

The pipe for the clamps were about $35

Various other bits and pieces of hardware another $15, and the pipe clamps themselves were $15 a set, so $60 there. (and come to think of it, I now Have the hardware for the cross pieces, as they'll use the other half of the vertical clamp's, I just have to get the pipes)

add in the few 2x4's and we're at under $130.

nomorechopsaw.jpg

got the tops installed the other night.
and then today I went out, and cut the replaceable panels that cover the pipe well. Just 3/4 MDF so if they get chewed up, they're cheap to replace.

benchwithinserts.jpg

I did wind up tearing apart my chopsaw stand. As nice as it was, it was a quick-n-dirty bench, primarily meant for building the shop. It had served its purpose, so I saved the top section (which is now stacked behind the new bench). and am going to recycle the legs into something useful.

The bench is coming along nicely Ned. Not a big loss for the chop saw stand, should be able to clamp it down on that new bench. I've got one of the HF folding stands that serves multi purpose for my metal chop saw and Rigid oscillating sander.

Ned,

That's going to be one nice bench. I'm keeping that idea for later, Thanks.

One piece of advice on your pipe clamps, DON'T use galvanized pipe. Use plain "black iron" pipe. The jaws of the Jorgenson clamps will slip on the galvanizing and you can end up chasing them all up and down the pipe. Black iron just lets the jaw bite in enough to hold. We used those Jorgy 3/4" pipe clamps in fabricating frames for big vibrating conveyors back home, and tightened them with a 1" box wrench on the handles. After a while the handles were bent out of shape, but the clamp never slipped. I tried using galvanized for some personal clamps and learned quickly that even clamping wood the jaws slipped on the galvanizing.

Just a word to a friend.

Aloha, Tony

I really don't know what to think about the difference between todays black pipe & galvanized pipe because I have both galvanized pipe & black pipe for my pipe clamps. The black pipe is recent purchase in the last 6-10 years new pipe. The galvanized is recycled old pipe & neither slips. I wonder if its just the new galvanized pipe that slips?

Actually Bart,

The galvanized pipe I used was "used" also, and old stuff, of many years ago. I'm thinking that the coating was kind of thick, and soft, I know it looked like a thick and rough coating) so it caused the clamp dogs to slip. There may have been a higher lead content in the galvanizing coat of the pipes I tried, making it softer.

Whereas the black pipe had no coating and the dogs just bit right into the steel. I really haven't tried new galv. pipe so maybe I have to stand corrected on that.

I guess I will have to try some of each again now. I have about 4 sets of Jorgys with no pipes yet.

Aloha, Tony

Looking good Ned. That bench design has always intrigued me.

Well I've only used it One day... but I can tell you this much, It is plenty sturdy, and coincidentally just the 'right' height for hand work while seated on my favorite stool.

One of those funny little projects, I had used this formica to glue up cutting boards over the winter, it Was covered in glue. I Spent a happy five minutes tonight with a bench chisel cleaning it up. It's just about the right size for me to use for my router table insert in the tablesaw, so I think it may wind up getting trimmed down in a couple of weeks.
benchandformica.jpg

looking sharp and tight ned,thankyou for sharing pics.
Anytime!

The bench is coming along nicely Ned. Not a big loss for the chop saw stand, should be able to clamp it down on that new bench. I've got one of the HF folding stands that serves multi purpose for my metal chop saw and Rigid oscillating sander.

Not a loss at all, It did its job, now I need the space for something else. I do nearly all of my crosscuts using my sled these days, so other than a miter cut, It was gathering sawdust and clutter. The clamping section of the bench will actually Fit on the new bench, I just have to route out a couple of holes for the pipe clamps to grab in, If I ever want to use it to clamp something down (like a cutting board for example).
I really like your bench Ned. (I wonder if I could make a scaled down size version?) :huh:

Aloha, Tony

Tony,
what size do you want to make it? I could see a scale down version of about 2 or 3' long working quite well for the top section. Much less than what I have and I think you'd have to weight the base more to withstand the planing forces.

I'm seriously considering adding a shelf for the chopsaw to live on down there, partly to add Mass, partly just to get it off of the floor.

oh, and here's a shot of the bench in action for the first time!
newbenchinaction-1.jpg

Last edited:
Yes Ned, I was thinking of about 3 ft long by 2 ft wide would be about right for me. I'll have to get the dimensions of the original bench, like you used, and adjust down. As for weight, I think I can find enough stuff to hold it down, and still have it able to move when needed.

Thanks for a good project show.

Aloha, Tony