The Golden Rule

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
A while back I posted a couple of pics of a basket that my great uncle had made years ago. I had mentioned an article about how he had lost his arm, I found the article and thought it was was worth sharing. Here it is...

Attachments

• GoldenRuleSm.jpg
    GoldenRuleSm.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 76
Darren: reading something like this makes you stop and wonder if things would happen the same way these days. Probably in rural communities, but certainly not around here!

Did your uncle have a prosthesis after he lost his hand? I went to high school with a guy who lost his arm up to the elbow the same way, and he had a hook then (and we graduated in 1963!!). Don't know if he has upgraded, but he was darned good with that hook.

What year did the accident happen?

He was 32 at the time, so it was probably in the late 50's when it occurred. He had the hook type of prosthesis, so it was amazing to watch him drink coffee with it. He had a very distinct "make due" attitude and enjoyed life. It was amazing to see some of the wood work that he created, many times with intricate detail.

Very cool story, Darren. (Well, except for the part about your uncle's accident.) I agree with Nancy that this type of community support is more likely to happen in rural areas than cities. Still, it's nice seeing people band together to help another. Sounds like your uncle had the right attitude, too.