Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everyone needs to see this

Everyone needs to see this

Hey guys and gals,
    I use this sheet both at home and work. Next time you visit your MD, see if he/she has any experience with wood toxicity and any suggestions other than the obvious respirator. As a Respiratory Therapist, I will be happy to cough up suggestions and ideas to keep your lungs out of the woods. Lungs can't heal, they can only maintain and recover so keep your mask on!!

http://www.mimf.com/archives/toxic.htm
    Last edited by Jim Burr; 09-13-2008 at 05:13 PM. Reason: fixed the link
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Jim, very helpful info. I've seen it before, but a refresher on things like this is always good. Thanks!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    ...As a Respiratory Therapist, I will be happy to cough up suggestions and ideas to keep you lungs out of the woods...
    I know it's a serious subject, but that's some funny wordsmithing there. (Although I think the objective is to keep the woods out of the lungs, eh?) I can tell you're no hack, and appreciate you breathing some life into the subject.

Thanks for posting the link, Jim.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Good info, hadn't seen this one before. Thanks for posting Jim.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Thanks for the reminder. That is why my Trend Respirator goes one when I start turning and especially during sanding.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I have told this story before on other forums but I am 62 so I am allowed to repeat myself.

When I first started my custom sawing business in 1985 I wore hearing protection. After running the mill for about a year I read an article in...I believe WoodShop News about spalted wood. The author/woodworker had died by the time the article had gone to press. He apparently contracted some type of serious lung problem (incurable and deadly) traced back to spalted wood. I immediately went out and bought a North 7700 Mask with the dust filters. According to the stats the filtering efficiency is the same as the more expensive, heavy, battery operated air circulating helmets. I use one in my shop also; my face shield fits right over it.

I have searched for that article and even written the publishers in an attempt to get a copy. I remember when I posted this information back on Badger Pond. The site owner accused me of promoting unnecessary negative hype. That is when I decided he had a major character flaw.
    Barbara

Great info Jim, thanks!

I to use my Triton most all of the time, I also keep my exhaust going all the time, and that is why I built and use my cyclone so much.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I was suprised to see that cedar is missing from the list. I had a severe reaction to cedar when turning it. I had flu like symptoms and severe vertigo. I heard of one turner who had to have a pacemaker installed after working with cedar. I understand that cedar is listed by OSHA in it's own toxicity class.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Downes View Post
    I was suprised to see that cedar is missing from the list. I had a severe reaction to cedar when turning it. I had flu like symptoms and severe vertigo. I heard of one turner who had to have a pacemaker installed after working with cedar. I understand that cedar is listed by OSHA in it's own toxicity class.
    What kind of cedar?
    Barbara

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Downes View Post
    W. Red Cedar IS on the list:

"W. redcedar: sensitizer/respiratory, nasal cancer/great/dust/common"
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!