Everyone needs to see this

Jim Burr

Hey guys and gals,
I use this sheet both at home and work. Next time you visit your MD, see if he/she has any experience with wood toxicity and any suggestions other than the obvious respirator. As a Respiratory Therapist, I will be happy to cough up suggestions and ideas to keep your lungs out of the woods. Lungs can't heal, they can only maintain and recover so keep your mask on!!

http://www.mimf.com/archives/toxic.htm

Last edited:
...As a Respiratory Therapist, I will be happy to cough up suggestions and ideas to keep you lungs out of the woods...
I know it's a serious subject, but that's some funny wordsmithing there. :p (Although I think the objective is to keep the woods out of the lungs, eh?) I can tell you're no hack, and appreciate you breathing some life into the subject. :D

Thanks for posting the link, Jim. :thumb:

I have told this story before on other forums but I am 62 so I am allowed to repeat myself.;)

When I first started my custom sawing business in 1985 I wore hearing protection. After running the mill for about a year I read an article in...I believe WoodShop News about spalted wood. The author/woodworker had died by the time the article had gone to press. He apparently contracted some type of serious lung problem (incurable and deadly) traced back to spalted wood. I immediately went out and bought a North 7700 Mask with the dust filters. According to the stats the filtering efficiency is the same as the more expensive, heavy, battery operated air circulating helmets. I use one in my shop also; my face shield fits right over it.

I have searched for that article and even written the publishers in an attempt to get a copy. I remember when I posted this information back on Badger Pond. The site owner accused me of promoting unnecessary negative hype. That is when I decided he had a major character flaw.:)

Great info Jim, thanks!

I to use my Triton most all of the time, I also keep my exhaust going all the time, and that is why I built and use my cyclone so much.

Cheers!

I was suprised to see that cedar is missing from the list. I had a severe reaction to cedar when turning it. I had flu like symptoms and severe vertigo. I heard of one turner who had to have a pacemaker installed after working with cedar. I understand that cedar is listed by OSHA in it's own toxicity class.

I was suprised to see that cedar is missing from the list. I had a severe reaction to cedar when turning it. I had flu like symptoms and severe vertigo. I heard of one turner who had to have a pacemaker installed after working with cedar. I understand that cedar is listed by OSHA in it's own toxicity class.

What kind of cedar?

W. Red Cedar IS on the list:

"W. redcedar: sensitizer/respiratory, nasal cancer/great/dust/common"

W. Red Cedar IS on the list:

"W. redcedar: sensitizer/respiratory, nasal cancer/great/dust/common"

Great! I have 1/2 dozen red cedar deadfalls on the back of my property that I have been working on. Some it is so dry, it comes off almost like dust. My HF Dc sucks it up pretty good and I use my respirator regularly, but still wind up with a coating of dust on my clothes and tools.:(

I guess I'm lucky because I don't wear any sort of respirator except when spraying lacquer and I've never had a reaction to wood dust. I also work with Eastern Red Cedar a lot and other than occasionally sneezing, I have no adverse effects from it.

However, I do realize that any effects can be cumulative and could eventually cause a negative reaction. That's why I've been seriously considering a Trend Airshield. I also respect Barbara's opinion and if she thinks it's beneficial, then that may just hasten my decision.

Thanks for the link.

Cody, I understand 3M also makes a mask similar to the North 7700. Here are some links to help you decide.

http://www.boss-safety.com/north-7700-series-silicone-half-mask-respirator-medium-p-3370.html

I use the pancake filters in the shop. They do not interfere with my face protection. They screw right on the mask without needing holders.

http://www.sharpesafety.com/catalog/product-display.php3?ID=722

North makes all sorts of special filters it is sort of interesting to read about them all.
One of the reasons I originally went with this mask is the exhalation port is at the bottom of the mask. My glasses do not fog up even in the winter.

Last edited:
Oops, i didn't notice the Western thing. I'm not sure what cedar it was that bothered me. As I remember it, I got some stuff from a guy who said he got the wood from Arkansas. I turned him a bowl and the rest of it is sitting in my bowl blank loft waiting for a dust collector upgrade.

Cody, the effects are cumulative. Western red cedar has a lot of oil that cannot be expelled by the lungs. Small, fine dust particulates from any wood are engulfed by lymphocytes in the lungs and cause Mast cells to de-granulate. The only thing you may notice is a cough or sneeze. Type "wood dust toxicity" into Google and spend 5-10 minutes looking at an article or two. I read a very sad article from the president of a woodworking club who is dying from Fibrotic lung disease. In my line of work, the treatment is a one-word answer...transplant. If you have a family, stay healthy for them.
I use a Triton for bowls larger turnings, but most of the time I use a MSR respirator you can get at Home Depot for $25. A lung transplant, you usually only get one lung, is $375,000 to $728,000, assuming one is available.

Barbara, spalting, as we all know, is rot...normally but not always, Black mold. This varity of mold has been shown to cause so many health problems that buildings in the Central Valley of Ca where I live, are closed until the problem is eradicated and the source neutralized.
I know it's a pain to "gear-up" for a 10 minute pen or a quick sanding on a dry bowl. It's about like putting on a seatbelt. I may post (with the permission of Vaughn and the patients') a picture of one of my patients in ICU awaiting a transplant. Print it off and hang it in your shop as a reminder.

Last edited:
I guess I'm lucky because I don't wear any sort of respirator except when spraying lacquer and I've never had a reaction to wood dust. I also work with Eastern Red Cedar a lot and other than occasionally sneezing, I have no adverse effects from it.

However, I do realize that any effects can be cumulative and could eventually cause a negative reaction. That's why I've been seriously considering a Trend Airshield. I also respect Barbara's opinion and if she thinks it's beneficial, then that may just hasten my decision.

Thanks for the link.

Cody it can and does become cumulative. I went to the doctor about some problems with my breathing. He told me that if I didn't do something about breathing wood dust I could end up with a form of emphysema. He said especially if it is wood dust that has oils in it as the lungs can't get rid of any of that. I had to take some medication and breathing treatments. It is gone now and the doctor says I will be ok but he said if I hadn't come in when I did it could have been a lot worse. Of course he said my age made a difference to because as you get older it is harder to take care of the problem.

Like I said before when I walk in the door my Trend hangs right there and goes on. I don't even sand a pen without it. Don't mean to scare anyone but the Doc told me it can be very serious.

Last edited:
...I may post (with the permission of Vaughn and the patients') a picture of one of my patients in ICU awaiting a transplant. Print it off and hang it in your shop as a reminder.
Jim, I'm not really the arbiter on things like that -- the elected Moderators make those calls. Offhand though, I don't see anything in the forum rules that would prohibit it. Perhaps you could post a link to the picture, instead of the picture itself. That way, people who want to see it can, and those who don't can just avoid clicking the link. (Assuming the patient agrees, of course.)

I keep an eye on the toxic lists... I had a reaction to something in my shop... a nasty rash broke out on my upper chest and lasted about 3 weeks... the itching nearly drove me berserk. I've since bought a turning smock that I wear religeously, it's long sleeved and has a velcro tab around the neck... Hot as hell in my all metal un-airconditioned shop, but it's better than the itch. Also have a respirator from CSUSA similer to the one Barbara mentioned... that keeps the dust out of the lungs... also work with a 20" box fan blowing on the lathe to help the DC keep the dust away from the lungs.

This is a fun and rewarding hobby, but it does have it hazards, between the lung infections, skin infections from the woods and the sharp blades spinning at un-Godly speeds on the saw..