Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Tools in the middle - Home Stretch

Smile Tools in the middle - Home Stretch

Just thinking ahead here

I'm way too busy now to do this, but it needs to be done, so I'm thinking early spring?

I really need to rearrange my shop. The current layout just is not working for me. I have my TS and bench in the middle of the floor and all the tools pushed against the wall. These pix are a few years old and I've added/upgraded some equipment since they were taken (It's also not been this clean in a long time) But, it should give you the general idea.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	East small.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	23740 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	North.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	23741 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	South.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	23742 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	West.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	23743

Here's the current layout
    Current layout.pdf

I'm thinking of buying the LOML a stacking washer/dryer and replacing our very old water heater with a wall hung on-demand unit. This would allow me to install a slop sink where the WH is now and move the fridge over to where the dryer now stands. Then I'd move the cabinets from the north wall to the west wall which would give me a wider space.

Here's the question for the group. I'm totally anal when it comes to placing equipment in the shop - always pushing things up against the walls. I've noticed that many people have machines out in the middle of the shop in 'clusters'. For those of you who've tried this - how well does it work?
    Here's one idea - it allows me room to add a very much needed assembly table.
    possible layout.pdf
    Last edited by Rennie Heuer; 10-20-2008 at 07:16 PM.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Maybe it would be easier to visualize with a new hard wood floor?

Sorry couldn't resist...I will be watching this thread as I'm in the mood for a shop redo as well...a good cleaning is in need for me first though.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

After carefully reviewing the photos of your shop, I have concluded that it is way to clean to ever have been used.
    Therefore, you don't need to move anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    Maybe it would be easier to visualize with a new hard wood floor?

Sorry couldn't resist...I will be watching this thread as I'm in the mood for a shop redo as well...a good cleaning is in need for me first though.
    Next Saturday is "shop cleaning day". It's the LOML's way (she's helping) of paying back for all the hard work I did on that floor. The shop is a total mess, burried under an inch of that real fine dust the laminate produces. We plan on clearing out the trash, putting away the tools, opening the doors at each end, and getting out the leaf blower!

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    After carefully reviewing the photos of your shop, I have concluded that it is way to clean to ever have been used.
    Therefore, you don't need to move anything.
    OK - you all asked for it - I'm going home this evening and taking pictures of my VERY dirty shop!

www.wrworkshop.com

Rennie, I find that shop layout is very personal thing. You would probably hate what I have and mine yours. But I have refined mine and I have it close. I have one thing I don't like.

My layout has to do with room to move long boards to the planner, jointer radial arm and tablesaw. Every other machine is worked around that.

At the moment this is my layout. Just imagine a lot of "stuff" filling in the empty spaces too. And it is not as open as this makes it appear. It's pretty much to scale but ......

Name:	shop-current.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	23746

The one thing I hate and will change soon. My jointers bench with all my hand tools is over by the left wall next to the compressor. I am constantly walking to it and do something. I now stage most projects in the center near the other bench with is just general purpose use. I need to move the jointer bench closer to the center of the room. Otherwise this works pretty well.

My late will probably go where the jointers bench is now, but I rarely turn anymore. So it's doesn't matter.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Thanks Jeff - I notice you have your band saws out in the middle - this is something I was thinking of doing. Currently mine is against the wall on wheels and I have to muscle it out (Rikon 18" - heavy) for any cut I want to make. I've hesitated putting my bench against the wall, but if the arrangement allows my to add a 3' x 6' assembly table I'd make the sacrifice!

www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post
    At the moment this is my layout. Just imagine a lot of "stuff" filling in the empty spaces too. And it is not as open as this makes it appear. It's pretty much to scale but ......

Jeff, do you have three drill presses? If so, how come?

OK - you asked for it

Here you go - one very dirty shop

Name:	DSC_2823.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	23747

Name:	DSC_2824.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	23748

Name:	DSC_2825.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	23749

Name:	DSC_2827.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	23750

Name:	DSC_2828 (600 x 399).jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	23751

www.wrworkshop.com

Nice shop, Rennie. The empty coke carton is what really makes the decor!

Quick aside: I was in the borg the other day, buying more paint in the middle of painting the playhouse. The trim color, of course, was picked by James... something between fire-engine and candy apple... and of course, I'd accidentally leaned against a painted surface. The sales girl rang me up, then told me: "I just have to say: that red looks fabulous on you!"

Anyway, about the shop. One of the best layouts I've ever seen was in a magazine a few years ago. The guy started with a fair sized space. Then he figured out the exact height of all the tools, especially their tables. Then he built an "island", with power, dust collection, etc, on the inside, and all the tools around the outside, with their beds at the same height. He had everything there: table saw, miter saw, bandsaw, planer, jointer, mortiser, drill press, everything. The infeed for one was the outfeed for the other. One end was an assembly table, at the same height. Even had a workbench.

It looked like a dream. No more moving everything around. No more of one tool getting in the way of the other. No more "I can run this 8' board through the planer if I move the table saw." It must have taken a ton of planning, but it looked like it would save several tons of effort and frustration...

Thanks,

Bill