Tools in the middle - Home Stretch

My bandsaw and drill press is configured around a support post in my shop which does not actually cost me any room but allows me to work with long pieces when needed.

Garry, that is nice size shop and I like how you arranged it so that you have retained open areas. I have seen many large shops that are just as claustrophobic as smaller shops. Very good use of your support posts to arrange your equipment. You took a possible negative (support posts) and turned it into a positive. Thanks for contributing the pictures of your space.

Here's another rendition - probably ought to start numbering them as I expect there will be many :rofl:

This one just drops the fridge - I think Art suggested that. No new washer/dryer/water heater.

Questions...

1- is the jointer low enough to not interfere with material on the TS ? Or will you need to move it in those situations.

2- From the photos I note that your rolling toolbox is in two parts? here's a possibly goofy idea... if you separate it into two, could you incorporate it into the base of your new assembly table? Then you gain a touch more floor space by not having it there behind the table.

3- Is that the shopvac beside the workbench in the plan? Can you gain floor space by having it roll under a bench for storage? Such as under the wing of the TS ?

Looks like a workable plan. But of course you'll have to see how it matches your workflow. I do think I'd like have the Jointer right beside the TS as you show.

best,
...art

Rennie,

I couldn't tell from your pictures, what type / how big is your DC?
Hi Sean,

It's an Oneida cyclone - IIRC it's 1.5 HP rated at 850 CFM, I think :huh:. I'm going to have to look that up. They no longer sell this model.

It's the one with the internal filter which is a great space saver, but boy is it ever a chore to clean!:eek::doh: In fact, I cleaned it yesterday. You have to take down the lower section of the funnel - heavy - and pull the filter out. Banging it with a 2x4 loosens most of the dust, but then I blow it out with compressed air. What a mess! I have to admit though, when it's clean it really sucks!:huh:

That does change things a bit. I can feel it starting to gel . . . The rolling assembly table and saw position work well as you can just move the table if required. My saw is closer to the door and like you, I can open it if I need to do long rips. this has worked out very well. My table rolls around in a different area but the concept has proved out well for me.

Last edited:
Been playing around with the design a bit - I found that turning the TS 180 degrees opened up a lot of possibilities. I think I'm getting closer! :D

As always, your input is invited and appreciated! :thumb:

Your clamp rack is completely across the shop from your assembly table... :huh:
The assembly table is where I would want my clamps. Actually, I also have clamps above my workbench - the smaller ones. I think in my shop I'd put the assembly table where you have your bandsaw/ss so it is close at hand to the workbench. Air would need to be there also, for air tools.

That does change things a bit. I can feel it starting to gel . . . The rolling assembly table and saw position work well as you can just move the table if required. My saw is closer to the door and like you, I can open it if I need to do long rips. this has worked out very well. My table rolls around in a different area but the concept has proved out well for me.
Thanks Glenn. Something I forgot, that I have to measure tonight, is the location of the drop down stairs to the attic.:doh: Once I get that in then I can see if this works. I was surprised how many opportunities opened up just by turning the saw around!

Your clamp rack is completely across the shop from your assembly table... :huh:
The assembly table is where I would want my clamps. Actually, I also have clamps above my workbench - the smaller ones. I think in my shop I'd put the assembly table where you have your bandsaw/ss so it is close at hand to the workbench. Air would need to be there also, for air tools.
The clamp rack - not yet built - would be on wheels, but you're right. It's too far away. I also tried moving s few other things around, and even brought back the fridge (LOML does not like the idea of loosing the fridge:dunno:). But, as I told Glenn, I forgot all about the attic stairs. I'll need to locate them to see if this will work.
View attachment Shop 4a.pdf

The clamp rack - not yet built - would be on wheels, but you're right. It's too far away. I also tried moving s few other things around, and even brought back the fridge (LOML does not like the idea of loosing the fridge:dunno:). But, as I told Glenn, I forgot all about the attic stairs. I'll need to locate them to see if this will work.

Oh come one, now you're being silly, Rennie. :p Does anyone think that a full size fridge in the middle of the shop is a good thing? Anyone? :rofl:

If you need an overflow fridge, then it seems to me it should be right where you currently have the dryer, so it is immediately adjacent to the door into the house. Wouldn't that be the most convenient for popping in and out of the house for something in the fridge? No need to traipse through the sawdust, etc (So bite the bullet and get that stacking W/D combo :doh: )

Then you can start your 3-yr campaign to convince LOYL that the 2nd bathroom needs to be renovated and you can move the stacking W/D pair into that bathroom. (I looked at your house plan over in the other thread and you can put in a smaller vanity, and then make the linen closet bigger to accomodate the W/D. Hey it's fun "renovating" other people's houses... :eek: ) Putting the W/D close to the bedrooms - major source of laundry after all, is a great idea, IMHO.

But of course, better check out those attic stairs first.

...art

ps: sorry for making expensive suggestions...

Oh come one, now you're being silly, Rennie. :p Does anyone think that a full size fridge in the middle of the shop is a good thing? Anyone? :rofl:

If you need an overflow fridge, then it seems to me it should be right where you currently have the dryer, so it is immediately adjacent to the door into the house. Wouldn't that be the most convenient for popping in and out of the house for something in the fridge? No need to traipse through the sawdust, etc (So bite the bullet and get that stacking W/D combo :doh: )

Then you can start your 3-yr campaign to convince LOYL that the 2nd bathroom needs to be renovated and you can move the stacking W/D pair into that bathroom. (I looked at your house plan over in the other thread and you can put in a smaller vanity, and then make the linen closet bigger to accomodate the W/D. Hey it's fun "renovating" other people's houses... :eek: ) Putting the W/D close to the bedrooms - major source of laundry after all, is a great idea, IMHO.

But of course, better check out those attic stairs first.

...art

ps: sorry for making expensive suggestions...

Well, IT has to go somewhere!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

The problem with the fridge is that anywhere else I put it, it gets in the way!:rofl: Believe it or not, the middle of the floor is the least obtrusive option.

Now, getting a bit more real, the stacking W/D is the best option. Earlier on in this thread I noted that a stacked pair and the replacement of the WH with an on-demand unit hung on the wall would provide room for both the fridge and a slop sink - something else the LOML really wants. She has this thing about my cleaning paint brushes and car parts in the kitchen sink! Go figure.:dunno:

Stacked units are reaching into the $1,500 to $2,500 range. That's a lot of mullah. The on-demand HW unit is another grand (though there are tax credits and fuel savings to help offset it). So, maybe next March when uncle Sam gives me back my 0% interest loan..... :rofl:

At the very root of the issue is;
  1. My current layout is cramped
  2. My current layout does not lend itself to good work flow
  3. My current layout discourages me (sometimes) from going out and getting things done.
If I really want to start selling some stuff, I have to make my shop more efficient.

The $3,000 solution

So bite the bullet and get that stacking W/D combo :doh: )
OK Art, here's the $3,000 solution - and a good guess on the location of that drop down stairway.:D View attachment Shop 5.pdf

I don't think for a minute that this would be a hard sell to the LOML, except that she's more concerned with paying it off than I would be. But then......there's that tax refund..... :D

Well, IT has to go somewhere!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

The problem with the fridge is that anywhere else I put it, it gets in the way!:rofl: Believe it or not, the middle of the floor is the least obtrusive option.

Now, getting a bit more real, the stacking W/D is the best option. Earlier on in this thread I noted that a stacked pair and the replacement of the WH with an on-demand unit hung on the wall would provide room for both the fridge and a slop sink - something else the LOML really wants. She has this thing about my cleaning paint brushes and car parts in the kitchen sink! Go figure.:dunno:

Stacked units are reaching into the $1,500 to $2,500 range. That's a lot of mullah. The on-demand HW unit is another grand (though there are tax credits and fuel savings to help offset it). So, maybe next March when uncle Sam gives me back my 0% interest loan..... :rofl:

At the very root of the issue is;
  1. 1. My current layout is cramped
  2. 2. My current layout does not lend itself to good work flow
  3. 3. My current layout discourages me (sometimes) from going out and getting things done.
If I really want to start selling some stuff, I have to make my shop more efficient.

All the excuses:) you shouldn't let stop you from wood working . I wish I could get there it would be fun helping you solve these excuses :). I am sure your shop is big enough that you have looked but not seen all that is possible:eek:. We can all sit here & kind of look at what your thinking:huh: about but its a whole different ball game being on site to get a good look & then actually see what can be done.:dunno:

Larry will tell you my shop is small but that I've learned to stack it high & tight & I can actually get something done in there.:rofl:

All the excuses:) you shouldn't let stop you from wood working . I wish I could get there it would be fun helping you solve these excuses :). I am sure your shop is big enough that you have looked but not seen all that is possible:eek:. We can all sit here & kind of look at what your thinking:huh: about but its a whole different ball game being on site to get a good look & then actually see what can be done.:dunno:

Larry will tell you my shop is small but that I've learned to stack it high & tight & I can actually get something done in there.:rofl:
Excuses? Such a harsh word.:rofl:

Yeah, you're kinda right. I don't let it get me down too often. The possibilities are there, I need to see them, which is Why I put everything out here - Lot's of smart people hang out here.:D

The shop has been in it's current configuration for about 9 years. It was initially designed around a Shopsmith and the TS, but soooooo much has changed!:eek: I really do need to rearrange and get things in better order. The sanding station, mortiser, planer, band saw, OSS, DT Jig, and both drill presses have been added since I first laid out the shop. I've just been shoving things in wherever they would fit. This makes for bad design, poor work flow, and more aggravation.:(

BTW - you're only about 574.65 miles away.:wave:

Last edited:
OK Art, here's the $3,000 solution - and a good guess on the location of that drop down stairway.:D View attachment 23923

Awkward spot for those stairs. Trusses run back-to-front I presume? If it gets on your nerves too much, you could always move the stairs about 4' towards the house so they drop down right in front of the sink/fridge... since it seems that area will always be a clear walkway.

Note that most new tumble washers are stackable with their matching dryer. They're good on water use too, can you get a rebate on them also? ;)

On the fridge front, that's basically between you and SWMBO. Can you compromise on a new compact unit that you can fit in elsewhere? (might be cheaper than the new WD combo) "Yes dear, I think it looks lovely in the spare bedroom..." :rofl::rofl:

ttfn
...art

Note that most new tumble washers are stackable with their matching dryer. They're good on water use too, can you get a rebate on them also? ;)

Don't know - might be worth looking into.:dunno:

On the fridge front, that's basically between you and SWMBO. Can you compromise on a new compact unit that you can fit in elsewhere? (might be cheaper than the new WD combo) "Yes dear, I think it looks lovely in the spare bedroom..." :rofl::rofl:

ttfn
...art
OK - now you're going to laugh - really hard. We do have a compact fridge. It's in the home office, about 40' from the shop entrance and about 24' from the huge fridge in the kitchen.

I know what you're thinking.:huh:

Don't ask.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I suppose there are opportunities there. You see, the fridge in the garage was LOML's first purchase on her own as a single mom when she booted her first. It's special to her, and it's been running non-stop for over 25 years. I must tread softly.;)