more firewood (oak)

tod evans

my lumber supplier did such a bang-up job on this order i just had to post pics. these boards are 4/4 13" minimum width 16` long....as clean as i`ve seen...

MVC-786S.JPG

MVC-785S.JPG

I've got to get some wide 4/4 white oak next week. Hope my lumber supplier has something at least similar to that or I'm gonna be stuck edge glueing some 12'+ lengths of narrower stuff.

this is all for that same house i`ve been working on, it`s not been planed, straight out of the kiln, the cost for wide/long is 27 cents higher than plain ol` fas ....at the wholesale level.

What would be interesting would be a survey of some wood prices by some list of typical wood species and sizes. I would be interested for example on what someone pays for 4/4 Alder per board foot in the different regions of the country. Of course it would probably have to be better defined so that you were matching apples to apples. Max width, skip planed or not, etc. You could come up with standard list which people could contribute their input.

I can tell up that in Western Washington there is a large difference in price depending upon where you are at. Living in Bellingham there is only Windsor Plywood (a Canadian corporation) that sells hardwood. Their prices are so high compared to Crosscut Lumber (what a place!!:thumb:) in Seattle. If I am buying any hardwood, I almost always need to drive to Seattle to get it, even at these high gas prices.

hey bill, for what it is worth i pay 3.15 bdft for superior alder, hardly any knots, that is straighlined one side and surfaced to 13/16.

that is considered an expensive wood by most around here.

what do you pay for alder?

chris

ps. that is wholesale price at about 300-400 bdft at a time

Thanks Chris & Tod. I will check what the retail pricing in Seattle would be for me. I was just curious how the regional differences played out. Here in the Northwest we have a limited number of native hardwoods species. You guys back East are in "hardwood heaven"!

bill, Im at the other end, all the way over, and heres a dealers list if you want to check out prices. This dealer is less than 15 minutes from me, I believe one can get a little better deal with him with quantity, or being a member of some organizations.
If Im not allowed to post the name, please delete, but this is someone who carries full line hardwoods and has a large retail location.
woodply.com(I have purchased white oak from him, it is a very pleasant place to deal with, and the workers let you see and pick the boards you want)

...If Im not allowed to post the name, please delete, but this is someone who carries full line hardwoods and has a large retail location. www.woodply.com (I have purchased white oak from him, it is a very pleasant place to deal with, and the workers let you see and pick the boards you want)

Allen, posting a link to a commercial place is no problem as long as it's not an advertisement. Endorsements (like you've done) are welcome. :thumb:

Nice haul Tod. It always nice to get better lumber then what you asked for. Around here for wholesale oak I am paying$2.80 for under 10" and $3.00 for 11" and larger. But this also depends on quanity orderd too.

I can tell up that in Western Washington there is a large difference in price depending upon where you are at. Living in Bellingham there is only Windsor Plywood (a Canadian corporation) that sells hardwood. Their prices are so high compared to Crosscut Lumber (what a place!!:thumb:) in Seattle. If I am buying any hardwood, I almost always need to drive to Seattle to get it, even at these high gas prices.

Bill - drop me a line - I get deliveries from Seattle area every week. Can't pick boards, but it might be an option for you. My shop is in Ferndale.

Bill - drop me a line - I get deliveries from Seattle area every week. Can't pick boards, but it might be an option for you. My shop is in Ferndale.

John, that is very generous of you. I visited your website and have decided to never let the wife see it! I would be kicked off of the kitchen cabinet project in an instant.

We have land next to Lake Terrell and hope to build in the next year or two. I notice that you specialize in crafting cabinet doors. I has me thinking about the kitchen in the new house. I think I will show the wife your website...after I complete this project.