Newbie pics

Ron Lynch

Hello all,
I'm new to this forum and new to turning (well, not brand new). My Dad taught me the basics 45 years ago, but I didn't do anything with it 'til recently.
I bought a HF lathe from an ad on Craig's List this June, cadged some antique gouges and such from my brother and had at it.
Thought I'd post a few photos to get my feet wet here and ask for some advice.
Can anybody recommend a finish for bowls and platters? Are friction finishes suitable? These are display pieces and not for food. Right now I'm using oil and wipe on poly.

Attachments

• Resize of Resize of PICT7065_1.jpg
    Resize of Resize of PICT7065_1.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Resize of Resize of PICT7072_1.jpg
    Resize of Resize of PICT7072_1.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Resize of Resize of PICT7082-1.jpg
    Resize of Resize of PICT7082-1.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Resize of Resize of PICT7112-1.jpg
    Resize of Resize of PICT7112-1.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 52
Very nice work Ron, especially for someone just getting back into it after a 45 year break.

Friction polishes work fine on display pieces. A lot of folks use the oil and poly combo that you did on these. I often use a few coats of Minwax Antique Oil on my pieces. I'd suggest trying a few different finishes and seeing which one(s) you like the best.

And welcome to the clubhouse. :wave:

Ron,

Welcome aboard!

You did a nice job on your turnings. I especially like the last one in your photos. Keep up the good work.

Like you, I'm getting back to turning after several decades. My first turning was in shop class in the 9th grade about 50 years ago!

:)

Very nice work Ron, especially for someone just getting back into it after a 45 year break.

Friction polishes work fine on display pieces. A lot of folks use the oil and poly combo that you did on these. I often use a few coats of Minwax Antique Oil on my pieces. I'd suggest trying a few different finishes and seeing which one(s) you like the best.

And welcome to the clubhouse. :wave:
Thanks for the welcome, I'll be sure to wipe my feet before entering the clubhouse

Ron,

Welcome aboard!

You did a nice job on your turnings. I especially like the last one in your photos. Keep up the good work.

Like you, I'm getting back to turning after several decades. My first turning was in shop class in the 9th grade about 50 years ago!

:)
Thanks Bill,
My first try at cocobolo. Funny smelling stuff.
They wouldn't let me have sharp things in high school, had to learn at home.

Welcome Ron!
Great job and keep it up! I'm working on bowl's and am to embarrased to post a pic. PM me some of your pic's and you'll get credit!!:rofl: Try some danish or tung oil. :wave:

Welcome Ron!
Great job and keep it up! I'm working on bowl's and am to embarrased to post a pic. PM me some of your pic's and you'll get credit!!:rofl: Try some danish or tung oil. :wave:
Thanks Jim,
Re: Your signature line, the third pic is/was a two x four. Well, really a piece of scrap 2 x 12 left over from my new bench. Don't throw anything away!

Ha!! I love meeting a fellow scrounger!!! I was thinking of buying a 4x6 beam and cutting it up to pratice my bowl and box work. Now I'm convinced!!