couple of larger bowls

Ken Easley

Here are a couple of larger bowls, these are about 4" x 10". Both are finished with a couple of coats of Deft Danish Oil and two coats of Arm-r-Seal. Haven't decided whether or not to buff out the Arm-r-Seal yet. Any advice on that? The Chittum bowl was finish turned from a green blank and has warped a little. It was kind of an experiment as the blank was very plain and ugly. Had I known the color and figure that was inside I might have done something a little different. The Norfolk Pine bowl was rough turned and soaked in a dishsoap solution before drying in a bag for several weeks. Did get some hairline cracks but at least it didn't split. Due to the beauty of this piece of wood this may be my personal favorite of anything I've ever turned. I've got a little more of this wood and want to get my DNA set up going before turning any more of it.

Ken

Attachments

• ChittumBowl-042460.jpg
    ChittumBowl-042460.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 68
  • SpaltedNorfolkPineBowl-042454.jpg
    SpaltedNorfolkPineBowl-042454.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 78
Sweet!

I really love the color of these bowls. It's been a while since I've seen a forum member make something out of Norfolk Island Pine. Very cool! As far as buffing arm-r-seal, I did all my bowls for last week's show that way. After sanding to 600 or 800 grit, I buffed with the tripoli wheel, and went straight to the carnauba wheel. I don't have the greatest pics yet, but here's an example.

Keep us updated on the different finishes. I too amd trying to figure out what exactly I like. Wonderful bowls!

Hutch

Attachments

• Birch 1.jpg
    Birch 1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 15
  • Birch 3.jpg
    Birch 3.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 12
Wow, those are real beauties!

Must have been fun transitioning from the knots to the normal wood.

I'm not sure which one I like better :huh: very hard to choose....... :dunno:

I'd wait to see if you think they need the buffing treatment, I find sometimes the really glossy bowls look somewhat "plastic".

Cheers!

"I find sometimes the really glossy bowls look somewhat "plastic"." Stu, I feel the same. Exactly why I was trying to decide on whether or not to buff them out. My wife really likes the high gloss, but I think I might knock it down a bit as in Matt's example.

Ken

More info

I thought I should clarify a little. If I sanded only to 600 then I put on a final coat, wiping it clean off to leave only a thin film. Also, after the final coat, I found that 1200 grit still produces a gloss finish after buffing, 600 is too course and leaves scratches, and 800 leaves a nice satin finish even after buffing.

I tried to keep the build to a minimum, cuz I still want my stuff to feel like wood. I've found that's a tough proposition with arm-r-seal. It either looks like you didn't apply enough coats, or all the grain is completely sealed and all texture is lost (except on open grain wood). Even by wiping off each coat 'completely' to leave a super thin film, I still had to build it and I lost the texture. However, this is a really nice finish, and everyone who touched these pieces oohed and ahhed at its feel.

Hutch