Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen Island Top

Kitchen Island Top

One of the projects I've been working on the past few weeks is a new countertop for our kitchen island. We had the other countertops replaced with DuPont Zodiaq a couple of months ago, but wanted the island to be a bit more 'splashy'.

I have a good collection of veneers, so LOML and I looked through them and decided to use some mappa burl for the field of the countertop panel. I made the frame of the assembly with red oak to keep the grain appearance of the cabinets. I dyed the oak to make it darker than the cabinets so it would coordinate nicely with the Zodiaq.

The photos below show the before (typical white laminate) and after. I included a couple of close-ups of the veneer for a better feel of its character. Before starting the finish process, this veneer looked a little plain. A coat of BLO/Naptha helped pop the figure. The finish schedule of shellac, Target WB sealer and Target WB conversion varnish gave the depth we wanted.

I started turning pens to fill in the time while waiting for some of the steps (like finish curing) to complete.

Let me know what you think.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CounterTopIsland_01.jpg   CounterTopIsland_11.jpg   CounterTopIsland_x1.jpg   CounterTopIsland_x2.jpg  
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

looks fantastic.

That is a beautiful top Bill! I'm glad I don't work in your kitchen; I would damage it for sure.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

pretty burl bill!
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Great improvement over the orig. countertop Super choice on the burl. I would be scared to do anything on it, just to nice!

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post
    We had the other countertops replaced with DuPont Zodiaq a couple of months ago, but wanted the island to be a bit more 'splashy'.
    Mission accomplished!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

It's beautiful, Bill. Nice job! But I'm with Ron - it would get ruined in my kitchen!
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird View Post
    It's beautiful, Bill. Nice job! But I'm with Ron - it would get ruined in my kitchen!
    Thanks, Nancy. I'm pleased that you like it! Suffice it to say that LOML is very pleased with it!

Actually, it's tougher than it may look. The finish schedule included three topcoats of Target EM8000 Pre-Cat conversion varnish. This quote from the Target site: "Specifically designed for use on store fixtures, fine furniture, interior architectural features, yacht applications and refinishing processes that require conversion varnish-type protection."

I let each step of the finish process -- sealer and top coats -- cure for several days before going to the next step. The final topcoat cured in my shop for a week before I waxed it and let it sit a couple more days. The result is what should be a very durable finish.

The veneer usually sells for $10-$15 per square foot. Since one normally has to buy a full sheet, it would have cost $500 or more. I rescued this (and other veneers) from a trip to the dumpster when I worked in a commercial shop for a couple of years. It cost me nothing.

Other than time, the total investment in the project is probably around $75.

Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

very nice recycle!

now you done the term recycling very proud bill nice looking island.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post
    I rescued this (and other veneers) from a trip to the dumpster when I worked in a commercial shop for a couple of years. It cost me nothing.
    Bill, where did you say this dumpster was located?