China

randy street

Just got back from a week in China, its my 3rd time there. I get amazed each time with something different.

Spent most of the week in Shanghai, it was cloudy most of the time as typhoon Sinlaku was forcing lots of clouds in.

Western influence is becoming more evident, lots of KFC, McDonalds and Poppa Johns Pizza where all around.

We were connecting through Beijing so we took the Maglev train from downtown to the airport. This was an awesome experience. It covered ~40 miles in less than 8 minutes. Top speed was 430 km/h or ~270 mph.

430.jpg

I took some video on my camera, the quality is not the best but you can get the feeling for it.

Train Video

There are 8 videos, about 30 seconds each, #5 is when we are at top speed. I've never been on anything on land that went this fast, it was really amazing.

Got to spend 1 day in Beijing, taking in the Great Wall, Tienanmen Square, the Forbidden City. We only got to drive by the Birds Nest since we were so rushed for time, but it is truly a impressive site.

The Paralympic Games were still going on and the crowds around the stadium were large.

Overall I was very impressed, the Chinese really made their country look good.

Regards,

Randy

Very cool videos, Randy. That train's haulin' for sure.

The company I work for just opened their first Chinese office in Beijing. I doubt I'll be sent there, but I wouldn't turn down the opportunity to see the place.

Was the ride really that smooth? At 270mph! :eek:

Put's my one ride on Amtrack to shame for sure! 12hrs to ride from Chicago to station just south of Des Moines...it takes less than 6hrs to drive it!

Was the ride really that smooth? At 270mph! :eek:

Jeff,

It was very smooth. The only bump was when we were passed by the train coming back from the airport. Its in video #6 at the 22 second mark, it happens very fast.

I could definitely see some uses for this technology here in the US.

Randy

thanks fer the train ride

that is one fast train,, how was the stopping sudden or gradual? were the locals you were near treat you well or were they wishun you wernt there?

that is one fast train,, how was the stopping sudden or gradual? were the locals you were near treat you well or were they wishun you wernt there?

Larry,

The starting and stopping was very gradual, no jerky movements.

I guess you could classify the locals into a couple groups.

Everyday working person - They keep to themselves are not overly outgoing to strangers.
Younger generation - Just like ours, outgoing and appear very sociable.
Touristy areas - Very outgoing and a little on the aggressive side. They dont take no very easy and really want you to spend your money with them. Everything is a negotiation.

I would not feel afraid to walk around by myself, I rode to subway in Shanghai and felt very safe.

It does help to have somebody to talk the language with you if your out shopping.

An interesting note, KFC is a very big hit there. I bet there are 2 to 1 of them vs McDonalds.

Randy

Randy,
I just saw this episode on the different foods of foreign countries & what they showed about China & Japan no thanks. I don't even want to say about the other countries. We need a smiley that vomits.:rofl: