Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Ike in Ohio

Hurricane Ike in Ohio

The State of Ohio was deemed into a state of emergency today due to the winds from Hurricane Ike. The last two days I've been going around helping church folks clean up their yards. Rakes, hatchet and Stihl Chainsaw in hand. Josh went with me today since there was no school... Little guy worked his tushi off. I've been able to pull out some bowl blanks here and there.. some just to small. Today I got a few good pieces of Honey Locust. We've got a few more days of work ahead of us... just at church folks homes.

Here is Josh after our work for the day:

Here is a deacon and myself (in red) pulling a huge chunk of Pine that got ripped off the top of a tree.

Man, looks like that storm covered a lot of territory across the middle of the country. Kudos for helping with the cleanup.

Be careful with the chainsaw...those things can bite pretty bad, especially if you get tired.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

We got it pretty good (bad) here, too. My wind meter showed gusts at 60.8 mph.

I lost a lot of smaller branches from the oaks and maples, but nothing heavy.

Many folks weren't so lucky. We still have about 18,000 homes without power (since Monday evening), and a lot of mess to clean up. Six people were killed from either falling debris, or during cleanup efforts.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Some friends of mine are taking their motorsailer down the Mississippi to their place in Florida. They got as far as Alton, IL and are hunkered down there for a week while the water goes back down. The river was closed south of them for a few days. They had a lot of rain and winds upwards of 60mph.

We even got some wind and rain from Gustav last weekend.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

Well, we had about 2-1/2" of rain over the weekend in Southern Ontario.
    Solid, all-day type of rain.

But I look at photos like this and I think we got off easy.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Here in Ft Worth, we got maybe 35 mph winds and about an inch of rain...What's with that????? I'm glad we didn't have the really high winds, but I sure could have used 4 or 5 inches of rain to get the creek filled up and running. Mosquitoes are about to carry us away! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

The latest death toll from Ike is up over 50 in 11 states. I'm glad that all of our members survived without serious problems. Here in Albq., wish we could get some of that moisture--we could use it!!
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

My son and his family in Ohio still don't have power back on, and as of now the promise is Sunday...

The story is they sent all the spare parts to help out Texas before Ike's winds hit Ohio..

Garry

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Foster View Post
    My son and his family in Ohio still don't have power back on, and as of now the promise is Sunday...

The story is they sent all the spare parts to help out Texas before Ike's winds hit Ohio..

Garry
    DP@L (electric) did send alot of help down that way. But they are slowly coming back up. I heard this Sunday as a time frame as well for most people. We were lucky and didn't get our electric out. But about half of our church family did including the church building.

We've been offering up our home for showers and whatever they may need. For the most part people are grinning and 'bearing' it.

-Jon

Hi Jon ,
    My best to you and the spirit of unity in your community, sometimes only surfacing when these situations arises. Odd things happen during these times, be on the look out for blessings.
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how