Thread: Auction Report

Auction Report

Not sure where to post this so will just start it here. If it gets moved I will know I was in the wrong place.

Got a note from a Eric, whom I have messaged with over at OWWM asking if I wanted to go to an auction. It was a complete liquidation of a General Contract business and they has lots of tools listed including some big power tools. I really am not looking for anything but you never know what you find at one of these so I went. Lots of construction tools, nailer's, painting equipment, ladders etc.

Of special interest to us were several 1960ish Powermatic tools. 16" planner. 6" jointer. The big model 67(??) table saw. Swings a 14 or 16 inch blade. Eric knew way more than I did about these. And some other machines. Most all was 3 phase.

The surprise was the 16" planer. Now there had a been a fire so the tables were rusted from the water but nothing else was damaged as far as we could tell. The planner sold for a whopping $375. No typo! That was the steal of the century! You pay that much for a Lunch box planner. Of course it does weight in at 12-1300 pounds too. I thought about bidding and then reselling it. Found out the buyer was willing to go $1,500 so just as well I didn't bid.

Here some other prices.
    Powermatic table saw $425 (another steal)
    Powermatic 6" jointer $225
    Powermatic shaper $425 (The only one that sold near what it was worth)
    Delta/Rockwell drill press $75
    Delta/Rockwell 14" bandsaw $150
    HUGE air compressor $650

I probably should have bought some of that because I could make money on them. But with the jointer coming I decided to pass. But I did pick up a belt/edge sander for $35. It was not something I needed but I could use it. And it was so going so cheap I started bidding on it. Got in home and plugged it up and to my surprise the belt even oscillates! Not sure that's intentional though. I figured it was worth that much for the 3/4 hp Dayton motor on there!

Those are the kinds of auctions that I like to go to. It's funny though that everytime I get to go there's some goof ball there that wants to spend more money than I do and I wind up coming home with nothing. But when I gets to go and there's nobody around that wants what I want it's easy pickins for sure. It amazes me what a Craftsman router or circular saw will bring. Those that don't know think that they are great.
    I once heard that cats and women will do darn well what they please and that men and dogs would do well to accept it and just go on.

This is the first auction I have seen that didn't go high. I think being a week day helped (Or hurt if your the seller). And I think the buyers were mostly contractors too. They weren't willing to overpay.

Then again maybe it was the phase of the moon?