Wood Gloat

Jon Lanier

Working out in some yards again today and came across some spalted and figured maple. We've got about 30 blanks out of it so far. I am curious how some of you sell your blanks like this on the internet? More so, how do you ship it... some of these are big and heavy.

Attachments

• Spalted Maple Stash 1.jpg
    Spalted Maple Stash 1.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Spalted Maple Stash 2.jpg
    Spalted Maple Stash 2.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 43
Great gloat Jon. Lots of wood. I don't sell on ebay but do buy. I buy mostly smaller stuff but sometimes would like to buy some big maple, walnut, etc. bowl blanks but just can't justify paying $15 to $30 for a blank plus $35 to $50 for shipping. I know I couldn't even sell the bowls and even break even. I really don't know what the answer is. I bought a Norfolk Island Pine log 8 1/2" in diameter by 8" long. Cost me $39.50 for shipping but I wanted it pretty bad. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have touched it.

You asked how. Currently, I don't. But I did sell red cedar for a while. Quit because it invariably arrived cracked. Even well aged wood cracked en-route. I can only guess that being packed and sent through various environments was the cause. There was no profit in giving full refunds. Other species, fully dried might fare better, I know it is a fairly big business. But, for now, I'm out of it.

...Other species, fully dried might fare better...
I'd guess 99% of the wood I've bought on the Internet was shipped green, not dried. Nearly all of it has been sealed in wax...at least on the end grain and sometimes completely. Shipped green, it becomes the buyer's responsibility to keep it from cracking.

Jon, the US Postal Service Flat Rate boxes are the most economical way I've seen to ship wood turning blanks. Weight pretty much doesn't matter, but Flat Rate boxes can be a bit limiting in size. The biggest one (12 x 12 x 5 1/2") can hold a good sized blank, though, and only costs $12.50 to about $13.00 to ship. (The lower price is if you print and pay for your shipping label online.) Anything bigger than that, and the shipping costs go up a lot. If you search eBay for "turning blanks" or "bowl blanks" you'll see the size ranges most of the sellers work with. Another nice thing about the Flat Rate boxes is that they are free. You can even request them from the USPS.com website, and they will deliver a pack or 10 or 25 to your door.

I've paid $50 + to ship big heavy pieces, but the wood had to be something extra special to justify the cost.

Oh yeah...congrats on the wool haul. :thumb: I'm sure the folks you're helping appreciate your efforts a lot.

Jon, I buy a lot of stuff on ebay from guys I've delt with for years. My suggestion would be to send us a sample, kind of like "Wood-of-the-Month" club and we'll get back to you. :rofl: Really though...I just received 5 sweet gum blanks 5x3 and shipping was $9.50 via USPS express mail. Same place has a 13x6 ambrosia maple blank and shipping is $26.15. We all know green is more fun to turn but it weighs more. Hit some websites for prices to ship, but keep in mind that ebay'ers expect fast shipping and feedback is usually based on price and shipping. :wave:

Jon,

I think you are supposed to turn those blanks into bowls, vases and hollow forms first...then sell them. :D

Seriously, I'm stockpiling wood like a hermit in anticipation of upgrading my lathe soon. It's also like tools, it's just neat to have it whether it's intended for immediate use or not.

Jon,

I think you are supposed to turn those blanks into bowls, vases and hollow forms first...then sell them. :D

Seriously, I'm stockpiling wood like a hermit in anticipation of upgrading my lathe soon. It's also like tools, it's just neat to have it whether it's intended for immediate use or not.

Yea... I see your point. But the wife doesn't like pallet full of wood in the back yard. So I thought, maybe try to sell some of it. If we get to many bowls around here they end up being given away and not sold.

What a dilemma :doh: to have.