Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hammer C3 31 Perform questions

Hammer C3 31 Perform questions

Hi Guys.

Im in the market for a table saw, my Radial arm is old, and scaring me, so I'm not using it. I also need a planer and a spindle, which led me to the Hammer C3 31 Perform.

I am also liking the size of the combo as I use my garage as as workshop and need to put everything away at night to store my vehicles.

Anybody here use that machine, or have experiene with it? I know 3 seperate machines is ideal, but the plan is to stay in this house for another 5 years, without any alterations, so I am kinda stuck with a combo machine.

Regards
    Uys

Uys is pronounced "Ace" - it's Dutch

No experience with that machine, but I think everything I've read about it (and other Hammer combo machines) has been positive. We've got a few guys here with much more slider/combo experience who will hopefully chime in.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

uys, if it`s not out of your budget i`d step up to either the 700 series felder or a minimax machine?
    i don`t use a combo machine so can`t offer insite as to their usefullness but there are several folks on here who do.......before you cut a check talk to your local sales/service guys and get their take on the machines....

http://austro.felder-gruppe.at/?page...2f38f3#tblHead

http://www.minimax-usa.com/index.php...id=2&Itemid=35
    associated with several importers and manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    uys, if it`s not out of your budget i`d step up to either the 700 series felder or a minimax machine?
    i don`t use a combo machine so can`t offer insite as to their usefullness but there are several folks on here who do.......before you cut a check talk to your local sales/service guys and get their take on the machines....

http://austro.felder-gruppe.at/?page...2f38f3#tblHead

http://www.minimax-usa.com/index.php...id=2&Itemid=35

Thanks Tod, I will check out the Felder. As a matter of interest, I will pay more or less R50 000 for the Hammer - about $6250 - is that more or less going rate for these machines?

We do not get the Minimax in SA. Only decent machines we get is Jet and the Hammer/Felder, and a lot of cheap Chinese crap!

Uys

jet is not in the same league as felder.......felders bottom of the line is leaps-n-bounds above jets top of the line..
    check for a local scmi dealer if you`re interested in minimax stuff.....scmi is the parent company and any dealer can order minimax.

I got the price this morning. A secondhand 6 months old machine - R64 000 +14% VAT = R72 690 or $9120. A bit out of my price range, I budgeted $5000

put your money aside and wait.......you`re building nice stuff now so dropping 5k on equipment is going to help you how?
    the way my luck works just as soon as i spend my savings on a "gotta-have" i hear of a fantastic deal.........

UYS, I know you want to buy the tool you can afford now, but really Tod is correct, wait a bit longer and buy your last too first time around, you will be so very, VERY far ahead of most of us doing it that way.

Best of luck!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Hi Uys

Ive been the only South African here for quite some time. Its good to see another one. Do you watch the junk mail? I noticed a Hammer C31 in there a few months ago for about R45000. There have also been several other combination machines. Unfortunately in SA if you're looking for used machinary you have to be patient.

Cheers,
    Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    you`re building nice stuff now so dropping 5k on equipment is going to help you how?
    Various ways:
    1. My thicknesser planes 2mm on the one side than on the other, and it's surface is not flat, sot he first and last 100mm's is thrown away because it is chipped.
    2. I need the space.
    3. I don't have a planer
    4. I am scared of my Rockwell radial arm saw - it tends to lift the wood when ripping, and throwing it back at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    UYS, I know you want to buy the tool you can afford now, but really Tod is correct, wait a bit longer and buy your last too first time around, you will be so very, VERY far ahead of most of us doing it that way.

Best of luck!
    You guys are right though, I've been working with my current machines for 3 years now, I'll wait another year and get the Hammer.

Thanks for the advise.

Uys