Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sawzalls Reciprocating Saws what do you have and like/dislike?

Sawzalls Reciprocating Saws what do you have and like/dislike?

OK, I'm in the market for a Reciprocating saw, or a a Sawzall kind of tool.

I do not have the access to the wide variety of tools that you guys in the US have, but I do have a few to choose from.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hitachi_CR13VBY.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	23969
    One of the Hitachi units, one of the newest ones out, seems to be a bit heavier than most of the others, but has a good anti-vibration function...

Name:	mmakita_jr3020.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	23970
    Classic Makita unit

Name:	dewalt_DW303MK.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	23971
    I even found a DeWalt unit for sale

Those three seem to be the most common style, the basic shape that is.

Name:	hilti_WSR900-PE.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	23972
    I also found this Hilti unit, it is quite different than the others.

I'm wondering which one to go for, I think I'll get a new unit, they are about twice the price over here than what I'm seeing on the net in the US, about $250 or so.

So, if any of you have one of these kinds of units, and can chime in with good or bad points, please do.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Hi Stu,

I have two. The Ryobi 18v and the Milwaukee Super Sawsall. For the occasional quick cut, removing a window, small tree limb, etc., The Ryobi is the one I go to. Mostly because it's lighter and has no cord. However, if I'm doing more that this, like a room demo, the Sawsall is the tool of choice. It has plenty of muscle and can power through almost anything. I've used it for wood, nails, plumbing, even masonry.

I don't see the Sawsall on your list of available tools - too bad. However, I know a couple of guys who own the PC or DeWalt versions and they are happy with them and they can do anything my Milwaukee can.

Hope this helps.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

I know that the Sawzall is the gold standard, I have not seen any Milwaukee tools here, and if they are here, I can imagine that they will be pricey...

The Hitachi looks really good, has some newer neat functions, but I do not know if they will be worth it
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

steve ash"s son use's a panasonic cordless and it has held up well for him.. milwaukee fer me tho.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I've had a couple of the Milwaukee Super Sawsall, one variable and a two speed. Used them for several years in drywall/commercial construction and two house remodels, both have held up great.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I know a couple of rehab guys that use Makita for just about all their power tools. One of their recip. saws was dropped from the second story roof and nearly hit me. Stuck into the ground like an arrow after hitting 2 stories of planks and scaffling and hit about 3 ft from me.

It was still plugged in so I tried it out and it fired right up after the fall, the blade didn't make out to well though.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

I'm kind of jumping on this, I really do need this tool, I thought I could get away without one, but there are a few cuts that need doing that I really do need this saw, so I ordered one, this one.............

Name:	bosch_gsa900e.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	23975
    It is a Bosch GSA 900E

To quote one of the UK sites I found it on.....

Compact tool design for best handling

• Compact design and 360° rotatable front housing for convenient working, even in hard-to-reach areas
    • Electronically controlled, infinitely variable stroke rate control for material-oriented working
    • Bosch SDS System for convenient and fast saw blade changing

Other features
    • Rubber-coated housing for a secure grip
    • Swivel-mounted stop for safe support when sawing
    • Metal hook for conveniently hanging up the tool between work steps, e.g. on scaffolding
    • The blade can be turned 180° and inserted into the blade holder, making overhead work easier

Specifications
    • Rated power input: 900 W
    • No-load stroke rate: 0 – 2.700 spm
    • Weight without cable: 3,4 kg
    • Cable length: 4 M
    • Saw, stroke length: 28 mm
    • Length: 432 mm
    • Cutting depth in wood: 250 mm
    • Cutting depth in metal profiles and metal pipes: 20 mm
    I do not think this saw is available in the US.....

It is a BLUE Bosch, so I hope I have better luck with it than the GREEN Bosch I've been somewhat disappointed with.

The 360 swivel head looks interesting, if I were going to be doing this full time and constantly demolishing stuff, I'd most likely have stayed away from such a feature (just something more to break) but as I'm not going to be doing this full time, I figure that 360 swivel might come in handy some time

I will pay just over $200 for it........... well, the MIL will pay that much

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward

Looks like a good choice!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Stu,

I have a weird view on this subject. Mostly I use mine for demolition, and the last thing I want then is to worry about messing up an expensive saw. So I've got an el cheapo ridgid. I don't have any qualms about misusing it, and over the last four years I've certainly gotten 70 bucks of work out of the thing. It's getting on time to buy a new one (parts of it have broken off, and the blade change mechanism now requires both a screwdriver and a bit of persuasion). But it's been dropped, kicked, thrust into places it didn't belong, smothered in wallboard dust, as they say in Texas: rode hard and put up wet. It's time to put it out to pasture, and get another one, but since they're cheap, I don't have many regrets...

Thanks,

Bill

Stu, I'd think the Bosch should be a good unit. You probably can't get what I use either, PC Tiger Saw. The older non pivoting head unit. Lots of power. With the right blade, it cuts through anything! Be sure to let us in on the project(s) you will be using it for. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3