Sawzalls Reciprocating Saws what do you have and like/dislike?

Well, I got my package from Monotaro today, and instead of having the Bosch saw, I got this one.........
Hitachi_CR13VC.jpg
:huh: :dunno: :doh:

I guess put the wrong one in the shopping cart and hit the "BUY NOW" button :doh::doh::doh:

Now I have to decide if I'm going to send it back and get the Bosch :huh:

Hitachi
3.3 Kg (7.25 lbs)
Amps 10.6
Watts 1010
Cord 2.5m (8.2')
Speed 0-2800
Max Cut
Max Cut
Wood 130cm (5.11")
Pipe 130mm (5.1")
Steel 19mm (0.75")
Stroke 29mm (1.14")
MSRP 35,000 yen ($333)
Street Price 22,500 yen ($214)
Variable speed via a dial on the handle, and the trigger
Soft grip handles
Tool free quick change blade change
Blade can be used installed upside down
Improved Triple Seals, they say it is just about waterproof

Bosch
3.4 Kg (7.25 lbs)
Amps
Watts 900
Cord 4m (13.1')
Speed 0-2700
Max Cut
Wood 250mm (9.8") << :eek:
Pipe 130mm (5.1")
Steel 20mm (0.78")
Stroke 28mm (1.1")
MSRP 29,800 yen ($284)
Street Price 22,500 yen ($214)
Head of the tool rotates 360 degrees
Soft grip handles
Tool free quick change blade change

On paper the two tools look very much the same. the versatility of the rotating head looks like a nice feature, but is it really needed, and is it just something that will break :dunno:

The triple seal, near waterproof is attractive on the Hitachi, but again, is this a needed option :huh:

I guess it will come down to how painful it will be to return the Hitachi, if they want money for the shipping etc.......

Decisions........... :dunno::dunno::dunno:

Jonathan, you are assuming that my wife or lovely daughters could ever make a mistake :eek:

;) :rolleyes: :) :D :rofl: :wave:

I opened the box and the Hitachi unit is very nice, but, there are a couple of things I, "right out of the box" do not like.

First, the foot does adjust in and out, so if you are cutting something and the area you are using on the blade gets dull, you can move the shoe to then use a sharp part of the blade, nice feature, but, you need an allen wrench to adjust the shoe, I'm sure I'd lose the allen wrench and then I'd not bother to move the shoe..... :doh:

Secondly, and the most annoying thing is there is not really that much room for my front hand on the machine..........
hitachi_cr13vc.jpg
....... The area that you would put your hand is smallish, and in just picking up the tool, I found it did NOT fall easily into my hand. I really think the "bump" there on the lower front part of the saw is in the way, and I wonder if this would get tiresome, as you front hand has no comfortable place to grip the tool. :dunno:

bosch_gsa_900.jpg
I think that the Bosch front grip area looks to be a more comfortable place to have your hand?

Still have not found out the "Return" policy.........

Stu, I haven't heard any thing bad about Hitachi tools. Their new-ish green and black "alien" styling isn't really my thing, but I doubt that impacts how well the tool works and holds up to use. If I was to buy a recip-saw I would but a Milwaukee. However I got my recip-saw for free so I can't complain. It was listing on Amazon for about $75 when I got it. I have a DeWalt 9amp. It was free from Amazon with the purchase of my Delta 22-580 planer. I haven't used it much but the few times I have, it has worked well. Being that this is DeWalt's lowest model, you need an allen wrench to change the blade, so thats not the most user friendly.

I think I'd buy the Sawzall too, but they are not available here in Japan, or at least I cannot find them for sale :dunno:

I'm sending the Hitachi back, it just simply does not feel right in my hands, it is one solid well built machine, for sure, but how it fits in your hand has to play a part as well.

I will not have to pay a restocking charge, I might have to pay shipping the returned Hitachi, but that should only be about $10, well worth it in the long run, but I might not have to even pay the shipping fee, as I'm ordering the Bosch from them as well, so they might just send the me the Bosch saw, and at the time of delivery the guy would pick up the Hitachi to be returned.

Cheers! :wave:

I have ordered the Bosch, and the Hitachi goes back tomorrow.

I have to pay the shipping, about $10, so what the heck.

I sure hope I'm happy with the Bosch :eek: :rolleyes: :wave:

Stu,

I thing you did the right thing. If I paid that much for a saw, having a different one from the one I had settled on would bug me every time I picked it up... ;)

Big deal, so you lose a couple days while it gets sorted out: "life is long, and art is short..." ;)

Thanks,

Bill

I got the Bosch GSA 900 today, boy am I ever glad that I did :thumb:

Right out of the box, it just feels good. Fits the hand much better. It is the same weight as the Hitachi, but if feels lighter, and I think that is because it is a bit longer, and it feels more balanced. Some other things.....

Sounds stupid, but the case is much nicer, the case closes with metal hasps, so many of the cases I see now, have these annoying plastic slider things, that usually DON'T slide, these are nice, and positive. The handle is even nicer, the Hitachi one was rough, had some sharp edges, and was a bit on the small side, the Bosch case handle is smooth, and is a bit thicker, so feels nicer in the hand.
Most of the time, the cases the these hand tools come with, end up on the curb on the recycle day, but this saw is an exception, as it will only be used from time to time, and will be most often taken to a job site, so the case does make a difference.

Inside the case, things are good too. Again, I know it may sound silly, but there is a nice little spot to hold the manual that comes with the saw. Normally, the manual will get lost in the shuffle, but in this case, if one day I actually decide to read the manual, I'll still have it :D
Also on the inside, there is a good spot for the extra long cord, and there is a blade storage area as well, with lots of room, I've stuffed about a dozen blades in there, and the lid snaps shut, nice feature.

Speaking of blades, this saw came with six free blades, the Hitachi only came with one free blade. I bought some extra blades as well, should be good to go for a while.

I used the saw today at the >> Yanagicho Aparto Renovation << it worked VERY well, I'm so very pleased with it.

The quick change blade function is great, and the speed is easily controlled with the trigger, very smooth.

The one thing that I did NOT understand is the rotating head of the tool, I thought the foot and the blade of the tool rotated to cut in any direction, but, just the collar does, the part that your hand grips, near the front of the tool. They call it the "Scroll" collar, and this makes more sense. I can see how if the scroll collar is functioning, then as you were to make a curve etc, you would hold the collar steady, but turn the saw with the back hand on the "D" handle, I think this would work well.

First day's impression is that for me, a better saw than the Hitachi would have been, so I'm very glad I sent the Hitachi back, and got this one. :)

PS, I do not think this saw is available for sale in the US and Canada now.

Last edited: