Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shop made 12" disk sander

Shop made 12" disk sander

I suppose that this goes in new tools---it is new to me. I was reading a book named "Building Woodshop Workstations" by Danny Proulx, and he had a design for a shop built 12" disk sander. I had an old 3/4 hp motor laying around, as a lot of us do, some spare MDF, a piece of 3/4" plywood, some wood screws and glue and I was in business. The only things that I had to buy were a couple of knobs, a threaded rod and two press in threaded inserts. This thing runs as smooth as glass. I did face sand it and blanced the disk with some stick on lead tape that you use to balance tennis rackets. What a great tool for almost nothing.

Alan

Looks great! Careful you're going to start getting orders

Jay

Jay,

Well, it's not pretty enough to sell but it sure works good.

Allen

I have thought about building one for a long time. Thats pretty neat. You did a good job on that.

Just thinking out loud here. If you could change the pivot point then the table wouldn't get so far from the disk. Going to have to remember this when i get around to build one.

Nicely done. Allen. I've got an old motor or two this idea would work well for. One of them already has a 10" or 12" (I think) abrasive wheel (feels like about 20 grit...really coarse), but I'd replace it with a wheel similar to yours. I like your simple solution for a table to hold the workpiece.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks Jeff! I think that you are right, the design could be reworked to make it work better with the angles. As you can see from the hole, I got the pivot point wrong the first time and it would not open wide enough. May be make the box a little narrower or something to allow for a 45 degree angle with a seperate replaceable table---or something. I had thought about making an add on table with the angle up instead of down. I do not know if you would run into trouble or not by traping the wood between the table and the disk. The box is nice as it allows for dust collection from a hose connected to the back. The one thing that I am going to do is to put an adjustable stop at ninety degrees.

Thanks Vaughn! I guess that old motors laying around can come back to life.

Pretty slick Allen, the 3/4 hp will have plenty of oomph! I'd be a little leary of the lead tape flying off and hitting someone though. Can you use lightning holes instead?
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Pretty slick Allen, the 3/4 hp will have plenty of oomph! I'd be a little leary of the lead tape flying off and hitting someone though. Can you use lightning holes instead?
    You are right about it having plenty of oomph, it sure has plenty of that. You are right again about the tape flying off. It happened the first time that I started it up. I should have mentioned that I used a staple gun to secure it. It was nice to have the sticky when adding the lead a bit at a time to get it balanced.

You got me on the lightning holes. What are they? I am sure that if you suggested it they must be the thing to use.

Staples are the way to go - I didn't think of that. I was thinking of how they balance machine drive pulleys by drilling holes in them to remove weight. It probably wouldn't work with wood to well...
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response

Lightning holes----now I've got it. Thanks!