Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forced to log on early

Angry Forced to log on early

Hey yall, new on here and first post. Speaking of post, a broken one on my delta midi toolrest is why I'm in early tonight. Was forcing myself to watch my skew catches to work on how to stop tearing trenches in my work. Second one really got hold and quickly drug me the wrong way to the chuck and "Snap!" straight to the ankle. At least I saw what I was doing wrong.

Welcome to the Family Brian!

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but if you can learn something from it, you are further ahead than me, most of the time

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Thanks, I've been wanting to get a better rest than that raggedy cast one, I just didn't think I'd be forced to. I've beat on it for five years so I guess I'm ahead of the game. Now I have a good reason to clean my shop (suggestion from smartalecky wife).

Welcome Brian at least you know what you did wrong.

I got a smartalecky wife too I tell her good thing she's cute otherwise "POW to the moon" she says she knows where I sleep & she swings a mean cast iron fry pan.

I hate the skew but keep trying to master it. One of these days everything will click.

This is what I did for tool rests after I determined the cast one for the Jet Mini was not what I wanted. The post is cut at a 45 degree angle. 1/4" plate welded to the post and 5/16" O1 steel rod (from ENCO) welded to the plate. These 2 rests cost less than $15. One is 6" and the other is 12".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-829F.jpg   MVC-830F.jpg   MVC-831F.jpg  
    Last edited by Terry Quiram; 09-20-2008 at 02:05 PM.

Those are beautiful, Terry.

Where did you get the 1/4" plate? More details on it, please. I've added the 5/16" O1 rod to my in-progress Enco order.

And how did you altar the edge of the plate to fit the rod? Or did you? Hmmm.... I guess a flat could be milled on the rod to mate to the plate....

Nice rests Terry. Did you consider pipe versus the flat? If so, any special reason you chose flat?
    Welcome Brian. I can't imagine what kind of catch that was! Everything else survive? The skew didn't go flying?
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kight View Post
    Was forcing myself to watch my skew catches to work on how to stop tearing trenches in my work. Second one really got hold and quickly drug me the wrong way to the chuck and "Snap!" straight to the ankle.
    Hmmm... that would never happen to me! Naw!

http://www.familywoodworking.org/for...ead.php?t=7402

Thanks,

Bill

Welcome Brian. That must of got your attention. That had to be a big thunk. Here are three I had made for my Delta midi. My local welder made these for $20 cut and welded.

Terry nice looking rest. I like the flat also. My first one was a robust. I like them because they are easier to use especially when doing finials because you can get your fingers around them to support the thin piece.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tool Rests 1.jpg  
    Last edited by Bernie Weishapl; 09-20-2008 at 03:53 PM.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Terry,
    I would also love some more info on your tool rests.