Forced to log on early

Brian Kight

Hey yall, new on here and first post. Speaking of post, a broken one on my delta midi toolrest is why I'm in early tonight. Was forcing myself to watch my skew catches to work on how to stop tearing trenches in my work. Second one really got hold and quickly drug me the wrong way to the chuck and "Snap!" straight to the ankle. At least I saw what I was doing wrong.:thumb:

Welcome to the Family Brian! :wave:

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but if you can learn something from it, you are further ahead than me, most of the time :eek: :D

Cheers!

Thanks, I've been wanting to get a better rest than that raggedy cast one, I just didn't think I'd be forced to. I've beat on it for five years so I guess I'm ahead of the game. Now I have a good reason to clean my shop (suggestion from smartalecky wife).:doh:

Welcome Brian at least you know what you did wrong.

I got a smartalecky wife too :rofl: I tell her good thing she's cute otherwise "POW to the moon" she says she knows where I sleep & she swings a mean cast iron fry pan. :rofl:

I hate the skew but keep trying to master it. One of these days everything will click.

This is what I did for tool rests after I determined the cast one for the Jet Mini was not what I wanted. The post is cut at a 45 degree angle. 1/4" plate welded to the post and 5/16" O1 steel rod (from ENCO) welded to the plate. These 2 rests cost less than $15. One is 6" and the other is 12".

Attachments

• MVC-829F.jpg
    MVC-829F.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 37
  • MVC-830F.jpg
    MVC-830F.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 39
  • MVC-831F.jpg
    MVC-831F.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Those are beautiful, Terry.

Where did you get the 1/4" plate? More details on it, please. I've added the 5/16" O1 rod to my in-progress Enco order.

And how did you altar the edge of the plate to fit the rod? Or did you? Hmmm.... I guess a flat could be milled on the rod to mate to the plate....

Nice rests Terry. Did you consider pipe versus the flat? If so, any special reason you chose flat?
Welcome Brian. I can't imagine what kind of catch that was!:eek: Everything else survive?:huh: The skew didn't go flying?

Welcome Brian. That must of got your attention. That had to be a big thunk. Here are three I had made for my Delta midi. My local welder made these for $20 cut and welded.

Terry nice looking rest. I like the flat also. My first one was a robust. I like them because they are easier to use especially when doing finials because you can get your fingers around them to support the thin piece.

Attachments

• Tool Rests 1.jpg
    Tool Rests 1.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I am fortunate to have a "blacksmith" shop in town. Well it was a blacksmith shop a long time ago. The current owner is somewhere in his late 80s and it was started by his grandfather and father. It is run by his 3 sons but Walt still shows up every day to visit with the customers. He has been showing up for work over 70 years. They do a lot of repair to farm machinery and they are a terrific job shop. A lot of their equip is run off of a line shaft powered by an electric motor that has to be 100 years old. They have a huge selection of iron, round, flat square, etc... They sell iron to me by the pound. They cut the post 45 degree angles on a bandsaw. I rounded the flat stock with an angle grinder. A friend of mine welded everything with a mig welder in exchange for a birdhouse ornament. I didn't expect them to be so shiney but like me John is an engineer and he is very particular. The tool bar is butted and centered on the edge of the flat stock and welded on both sides with the sweetest little bead I have seen in a long time. Don't know what else I can tell you but if you have a specific question then ask away.

The flat stock gives me a place to rest the palm of my hand.

Terry

What is the width of the flat stock? I assume it is 1/4" thick mild steel available at the big box store, and elsewhere. I can get 1-1/2" wide with no problem. Will that do?

My brother doesn't weld that pretty, though. :))

I don't weld at all. I use JB Weld if my brother is unavailable.

This is on my to-do list!

Thanks, Terry.

Brian,

Welcome to the family.

Terry and Bernie,

I really like the tool rests. I've still got the stock units on my Jet. I used a file to smooth out the top surface and the edges of the longer one. It seems to have helped, but I'm sure y'alls rests are great compared to mine. I almost bought a "store made" one that is similar to Bernie's but it wasn't cheap. Guess I'll have to find someone who welds.

Carol

Without going to the shop and measuring I am pretty sure it is 2" wide but 1 1/2 should work very well. I have large hands and 2 or 2 1/2 works best for me.

Terry

Hey yall, I'm back again. Last weekend proved to be very trying. Saturday my comutater decided to get corrupted and not boot up. My computer knowledge goes as far as my buddy's phone number. I settled with a jet rest from the woodcraft down the road to get back turning.

Chuck, wife says that she would probably get along good with your wife:eek:

Terry, I actually like the skew, I just have one or two areas of cutting that plague me and I was trying to work those out. I started out with the skew back then I had no one to tell me how aggrevating it was.:huh:

Jonathan, everything else survived. It was a very clean snap off, so smooth that I just kind of stood there confused wondering what that ping was. I went to go back to cutting and my brain wasn't making the connection that my rest wasn't there. My skew came out with a tiny nick back under the edge, so no resharpening:thumb:, the tool rest has a ding in the last 1/8 of the rest. Just a perfect hit.

I did rethink the whole wedding ring in the shop poll though, I need to redo my vote. That one was reeeeeeally close to my ring.